XL1s locked up? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Tourist

XL1s locked up?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been muted before but cannot find anything in the fora.

My XL1s 16x lens has decided it to set itself at full zoom with the closest focus. Nothing I do will release it from this setting. Neither zoom nor focus will operate manually or electrically. Records OK if I decide to do a feature of someone's left nostril, but didn't really envisage this. Playback also no probs.

Any ideas, folk? I'm at my wits' end.

Dallas
Dallas Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry for asking, but you've tried the obvious... remove and remount the lens. Remove and replace the little nicad data batt on the body...?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sounds like a circuit board to me. I needed mine replaced. My lens froze up like yours but with mine I had total control during boot-up. That second when you first turn on your camera just at the point where the viewfinder comes on I had control of the lens. At the point where all the data shown in the viewfinder goes off I no longer had control. If I was zooming at this point I had a weird noise an the zoom continued until it was at the extreme.

I am curious to know whether you have control at this point also because of all the stories of lenses mine is the only one I know to have had this moment of control.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

This situation calls for a trip to Canon service. You're not saying where you're located though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Tourist

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest. No, Richard, there is no control of the lens at any time and, Chris S, I cannot find a battery compartment anywhere near the lens mount. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

For Chris H, I am located in South Wales, Europe.

Thanks again.

Dallas
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You responded to Chris S(me) and Richard for the wrong points but the right concerns anyway. The battery Richard was talking about was the one that keeps track of time etc. which is located under the place you would put your right hand while holding the camera on your right shoulder. It is below the grip belt which is shown on page 22 of the manual-follow the 'c' on canon around toward the lens and you will find a thingie that "must be the battery holder" pop that out to get the battery out.

If you are very lucky, it is a short caused by this battery. When my camera went out I took this battery out in hopes... It is worth a try but most likely Chris H is correct and you need to send it into Canon. The other possibilty is that it is a bad connection between the lens and the camera. Take off the lens and gently rub an erasre against the metal prongs you will see and blow off any debrie. This will help if it is corrosion stopping the electrical connection between the lens and the camera. I think from what you said that you need to send it in though.
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just thought about you being in South Wales.

If it is your circuit board like mine or any part that needs to be ordered you need to send it in to the main Canon place just outside Bushey. The main place will guarentee you get something back in 30 days. There may be a place closer to you but if they do not have the part they will order it from Japan then deliver it to Holland and then to the place by Bushey and then to your place and this might take up to 90 days. Any place besides the main Canon site cannot garuntee 30 days. I found this out the hard way.

I went to Stoke on Trent for convience and found major inconvience. I saved an hour drive and zero postage but made up for it with major headaches and depression. I hope I can save you the same.
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Tourist

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I found the battery - CR2025 - and have read some other postings about this. Worth a try, changing it.

Ta, also, for the tip about Bushey. Sounds expensive but it needs to be done. Sorry for mixing you up... too many Chrises for comfort.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Dallas
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Tourist

Hi all,

Isn't digital video a fascinating and frustrating medium with which to work. I have replaced the 2025 battery (GBP 1,97 here) and now discover I have control for the first few seconds after which the camera does a smooth fade to black, or a fade to white on alternate tries.

Is it, perhaps, a novelty feature for lovers of coal mines or snowdrifts respectively?

Certainly looks like a trip to Canon land.

Cheers

Dallas
Dallas Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog