Wide angle Adapter for XL1- suggestions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

and have we forgotten about Blair Witch

Geeze....talk about a technical nightmare...but those "less than perfect" videographers are laughing all the way to the bank...and they used an el cheapo video camera from Circuit City and returned it after they were finished with it.
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #17
Trustee

Both the Optex .7X and the Red Eye .7X are very good. The advantage of using the Red Eye is that the orginal hood fits easily and back focus can be manually controlled if used together with the 16X Manual Servo lens.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I asked the Red Eye importer for a 58 mm version of the 0.7x and the 0.5 x aspherical wide-angle converters so that I could test them for Film and Video Maker magazine last summer. They are super slim, very light (plastic high pressure injection moulded elements) and they are beautifully multi-coated. I tested them on a VX2000. To save embarrassment all round I decided not to do the write-up because of their disappointing performance, and simply returned them. Note that these 58 mm versions are no longer in production however.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Tom, I too was extremely disappointed with the old .5X 72mm version Red Eye, and although I still have one, I do not use it (These are no longer in production as Red Eye understood the flaws and recalled the early .5X model, and I believe that they are testing out a new higher quality HD version at the moment).
However, I also own the .7X 72mm Red Eye and this has proved to be an entirely different animal than the .5X, and if matched to the 16X Manual servo lens it produces much sharper images across the frame. Unless Canon makes a manual wide angle lens in the future, the Red Eye is my main choice for providing a quality wide image beyond the widest setting of the 16X lens.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I was interested to read your thoughts on the Red Eye lenses Tony. The problem was (as I saw it) that although one of the element's surfaces was indeed aspherical, it was only mildly so, meaning that barrel distortion was allowed free reign. If Red Eye are serious about aspherical surfacing their wide-angles then it's worth doing properly, so that distortion is kept in tight control.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #21
Trustee

I can only imagine that my .7X 72mm dia. version is not the same as the 52mm version sent to you? I tested mine against my sharp Optex glass .7X and it performed equal.
A converter on the front of a lens will never perform as well as a prime lens alone, but I was not impressed with what I saw in the Canon 3X zoom, so the 72mm Red Eye .7X (which seems to be equal to the Optex and Century in performance) is the only option I have at the moment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog