Sound problem transferring tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 1st, 2005, 03:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound problem transferring tape

We use Canon XL1-s for wedding videography. The cameras get some pretty heavy use throughout the season so playback time is reduced as much as possible when transferring into the NLE. To combat this I purchased a Canon MV500i camcorder with a view to using it purely as a playback machine.
I have tried in both LP & SP, when i play the tapes the picture quality is perfect, however i don't get any sound either into the NLE or through the audio out or built in speaker on the camcorder. It plays perfectly on the XL1s.
Anybody else had any similar problems when using a different playback machine, or know of something simple that i've overlooked which will rectify the problem?
I need to get away from using the XL1 for tape transfer, it's already going in for a second service this year!
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

In general, interchangeability problems are not uncommon with tapes recorded at LP speed, but not expected at SP speed.

I assume the MV500i plays tapes recorded on it without a problem.

Does the XL1s play tapes recorded on the MV500i OK? If not, one of the two is likely to have a head alignment issue.

Sounds like it is a problem with tapes from more than one XL1s - is that the case? If no XL1s tapes play on the MV500i, and the XL1s tapes play OK on all the XL1s machines, I would suspect something wrong with the MV500i, especially if it was purchased used.
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The MV500i plays stuff recorded on that without a hitch. The XL1s' also play stuff recorded on each other no problems, it's just a problem playing back xl1 stuff on the mv500.
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

Do the XL1s paly stuff recorded on the MV500i without problem?

If th MV500i is a new system under warranty, best to contact Canon service.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog