XL1s Emergency! Need help please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s Emergency! Need help please!

I am really freaking out because I just turned on my XL1s and it appears that the lense is dead. I have a very important shoot coming up in a week and I don't know what to do. The lens is the standard 16x. When I turned it on it said check lens. I turned it off and made sure the lense was on right and turned it back on. That time it came on but I have absolutely no lense control. I can't focus or zoom. In auto it trys to focus but then just goes black. Can someone please give me any help on this problem. The camera was working fine yesterday.
Nicholas Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Nicholas,

Best you can do is to turn everything off, clean the contacts, make sure there is no moisture problem, and then reinstall the lens and try again.

If that does not work, it will probably need servicing.

Mike
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Fred Retread

Try removing the battery and the backup battery (located at bottom of cam). This is recommended in the manual for weird camera malfunctions.
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

If none of these tips work, you'lll *have* to send the camera in for service. Consider a rental camera for your upcoming shoot.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Anyone know what could cause that or has anyone had similar problems with this lens?
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Have you tried removing the batteries and lense then cleaning the contacts?
Did you recently shoot in a moisture and/or chemical rich enviroment?
eg. beach
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have tried that but to no success. I haven't shot in any hazardous locations lately, however, the other day i had one shot where the camera was pointed directly at the sun for a moment. But it still continued to work fine for the rest of the day. That's the only thing I can think of that may have been the cause tho it seems unlikey to me. Am I wrong in this assumption?
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Major Player

I'd agree with Chris, rent for your shoot and send it in.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm going to send it out today to get repaired, however, based on the symptoms of the problem, should I just send in the lens or does it sound like I need to send the body in as well? I guess I'm just not sure if the problem lies in the lens itself, or in the electronic of the body.
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #10
Fred Retread

Send the whole thing. Otherwise you're somewhat likely to get the lens returned with a hefty charge and the report, "no problem found."
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Nicholas,

I would try the lens on another Canon XL1 before I sent it off.

Also, I would try another lens on your XL1s.

This way you can determine the problem without sending it off.

I have sent you a personal email offering the use of my equipment. I am just two hours away. Please call me as soon as you get this.
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

It really is best to send the entire kit plus lens. They'll clean and tweak everything.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I had exactly the same thing happen to my XL1s at a wedding when the Bridesmaids were getting out of the car. The camera would not zoom or focus and the picture eventually went black, fortunately I had my XM2 with me to finish the wedding( the XM2 is now in for repair, " eject tape problem" ) I tried a lens from an XL2 on the XL1s body and it worked so the problem seemed to be in the lens. I sent the whole Camcorder + lens to Canon to be repaired ( under warranty) unfortunately they took a long time to fix it, I left it in to the retailer where I purchased it 18/07/05 and didn't get it back untill 28/09 05, 10 weeks of the busiest time of the year. They told me that the fault was with a D.C. Converter. Fortunately the camera is now working 100%.

David
David Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

That is great to hear that is is a simple fix and that does seem to be the same problem I'm having. Thank you for the comments, however I am 2 months past my warranty so I am afraid it is going to cost me a bundle. Any way to fix the problem myself?...Probably not but it is worth a try. Also, any guesses on what this might cost to fix?

Also, for the sake of time, does anyone have an extra lens they don't need that they would be willing to give away for a cheap price, maybe 500 or 600? I know these things are much more expensive than that, but it also is worth a try.

Dan Keaton--Thank you so much for the offer. Unfortunatley I am located in Woodstock wich is about 180 miles from you. I don't think I'll be able to make it out there anytime soon, but if anything changes I'll be sure to contact you. It means alot that everyone is so helpful and willing to give an extra hand.

-Nick
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

There is no way to fix it yourself, sorry.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog