Xl1 Problems With Time Code at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 16th, 2001, 01:27 PM   #1
nuts4dvtoo

Xl1 Problems With Time Code

MY XL1 HAS A PROBLEM WHICH CANON IS NOT ABLE TO FIX.
When I get to 3 different time codes while recording, the time code skips 1 second. These are all time the same spots - the problem reproduces everytime. Naturally when I need to import the footage in my computer, I miss those seconds and there are break ups. I have sent twice the camera to Canon repair in NJ . It always comes back claiming it is fixed, but the very first test I do on the camera shows that it is not !
I am sending it out monday for the last time. If it does not come back as repaired or replaced I will take legal action. Please suggest something else to me because I am really displeased by Canon quality of service.
Ps The camera was bought in January 2001 and I use it professionally.
Old September 16th, 2001, 03:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

lp,

I'm having a hard time understanding your problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "3 different time codes while recording." You should take every precaution to have one consistent timecode throughout the tape. This is very easy to do.

Also, the particular DV cassette you're using may have a problem. Try a new cassette. What kind of test are you doing yourself? If you could explain your problem in a different way, I'd like to help.

<< MY XL1 HAS A PROBLEM WHICH CANON IS NOT ABLE TO FIX.
When I get to 3 different time codes while recording, the time code skips 1 second. These are all time the same spots - the problem reproduces everytime. Naturally when I need to import the footage in my computer, I miss those seconds and there are break ups. I have sent twice the camera to Canon repair in NJ . It always comes back claiming it is fixed, but the very first test I do on the camera shows that it is not ! >>

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2001, 10:06 AM   #3
nuts4dvtoo

Timecode problem

Dear Chris, thank you for your answer, I was wondering whether you had ever made it to Holland...
My problem with time code is this. When I record and I get to time code 44m 33s 29f, the time code stops for one second, I see that reading frozen, and one second later the timecode reads 44m 35s 00f .(There is no 44:34:00 till 44:34:29 ) I have tried all sorts of tapes, so I know that it is not a tape problem, I have played back tapes recorded on different cameras etc etc. The big problem is when I capture the footage. When I get to those 3 time code locations (also 43:19:29 to 43:21:00; and 45:33:29 to 45:35:00) the capture breaks down and I end up losing more than 2 seconds of footage. (Great when it happens during speeches etc.) i hope that this clears up better my problem.

Your intervention is really appreciated .
Thank you

LP
Old September 17th, 2001, 08:55 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

LP<

This is indeed very strange and I have never heard of such a problem before.

Do you have two or three different cassettes, with the time code breaks in the same places on each cassette? You will need to send them in with your camera.

Can you play these tapes back on a different DV camcorder? Do you notice the breaks on a different camcorder? It is important to isolate the cause, between the cassettes or the camera.

I'll contact someone I know at Canon USA and you should be prepared to send some tapes to the Irvine, CA service facility.

Old February 10th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello Guys :-)

I am observing the same problem and I believe it is impart responsible for my other calamities.

Please see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=2

Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Anthony: this thread is over 3 years old, since the original poster
never returned I doubt he will now...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Wow! This thread is from our second week of operation.

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

I'm new here, and I did a search on timecode :-)

Anyway, maybe my situation might be helpful to some others once I nail a solution.

Thanks to all for all of the support !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog