xl1s FD/EF lens adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 17th, 2001, 05:12 PM   #1

xl1s FD/EF lens adapter

I have a LOT of older Canon FD 35mm lenses that I'd like to use on my new XL1s. I've found the Canon manufactured adapter that allows mounting EF lenses on the XL1. I've also found that Optex makes an FD lens mount adapter that sells for about the same price as the Canon EF adapter. Looking at pictures of the two adapters seems to indicate that the Optex FD adapter is a simple mechanical mount adapter, while the Canon EF adapter transfers some electronic aperture or focus info from the EF lens into the XL1s. Since the price is the same, I'd rather get the Canon adapter if it will allow manual mounting of the FD lenses. Does anyone in this forum know if the mechanical bayonet mount is the same for EF and FD lenses? In other words, will the EF adapter work with FD lenses?

Thanx for any experience you've got.

Bill Ravens
Chalchihuitl Productions

Last edited by Bill Ravens; December 17th, 2001 at 08:06 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2001, 12:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Bill,

The EF and FD mounts are different, so no joy there.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2001, 03:12 PM   #3

Adrian...

Thanx for the info. It seems the Optex adapter is my only choice, and the only stateside Optex licensee is ZGC. Somehow, I have a basic aversion to paying $450US for a machined piece of stainless steel without any optics or electronics in it<g>.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2001, 04:52 AM   #4
Trustee

That's why my 400/2.8 lens is just sitting in it's case and not being used with my XL1
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog