Mattebox for XL1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Mattebox for XL1...

Hello all,
I'm looking to purcahse a mattebox for my XL1, however I'm eventually going to go HD within a year or so. Should i just wait for the mattebox for my new camera or just buy one now? I'm also wondering if anyone has expericen in a particular one, or kinda point me in the right direction; this will be my first mattebox, so I really dont want to spend a lot. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks much!
-Alfonso
Alfonso Rojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
Major Player

The good thing about matte boxes, as with lights, filters, and grip gear, is that they are format agnostic. You can use them with any camera, any format, so long as the lens front isn't too big to fit. Most matte boxes that are made for rods support seem to have around an 80-90mm diameter-- more than enough for the XL lenses (you just need a step down ring). There are matte boxes that accept square filters (4x4, 5x5, 6x6), as well as ones designed for 16:9 (4x5.6 filters). Any of those sizes will work with your XL.

It would be worth spending on a good matte box, though I hear Cavisions are good and very affordable when compared to brands lke Chroziel, etc. In my opinon, get the matte box now. It's a tool any serious should should own and/or use.
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Matt,
I'll be checking it out and see where I can find one. Thanks for the info.
-Alfonso
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #4
New Boot

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

something like this wrk for canon? cant really spend much more right now. should i wait or something like this work? thanks!
-Alfonso
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Definitely would work. I've always liked those bellows-style matt boxes (less of a need for hard mattes). You might want to check with Cavision directly to make sure that the "kit" sold on BH has all the step-down rings and such needed for the XL.

Here's a link to the same kit, but "for the XL2". It looks the same as the link you posted, but who knows.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

If you can find a place that sells that particular MB in your area, it may be worth checking out in person.
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #6
Trustee

Cinetactics MatteBlox. Very nicely made, collapsable, carryiung bag, filter holders, extended French Flag, inexpensive.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks a lot guys! Looking into purchasing the kit off B&H once I find out those questions for sure. Anyways, thanks for the help!

-Alfonso
Alfonso Rojas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog