opening XL1 case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 13th, 2002, 09:02 AM   #1
brian gilbert

opening XL1 case

We seem to have developed a problem with our video output connector. Possibly a too-long center pin on an rca/bnc adaptor did some damage.

We'd like to get inside the camera to try some repairs, but after our tech removed all the obvious screws, the case still didn't budge at all. He was reluctant to remove the rubber pad on the bottom, or start prying the case with a screwdriver.

Can anyone please advise how to open this case so we can get to the video output connector?

-Brian
Old December 13th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #2
Warden

Do Not open the case. There are no user serviceable parts inside. If your tech is not experienced on XL1's (as evidenced by his inability to open the case) he should not be poking around inside. Most repair agencies will charge more to repair cameras that show evidence of tampering or previous repair attempts. Why? Because they will have to warranty prior work that may not have been done correctly. Send the camera back to Canon or use a repair agency familiar with XL1's.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 02:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

I Agree...

You asking for big trouble if you open the case. Its your money, its you XL1, but I would strongly advise against it.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #4
brian gilbert

Well, ok. Our tech has 30 years experience, which is why he's cautious about these things. We save both money and downtime by repairing our equipment ourselves. Tape path cleaning and alignment are standard on our Beta equipment. I thought fixing a shorted connector would be no problem.

But if it's that tricky just to get inside the thing, I guess we'll have to send it in. Thanks anyway for the cautions.

-Brian
Old December 13th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #5
Wrangler

If you tech is good and you have confidence in his ability with MiniDV stuff, order the service manual from Canon. It covers disassembly as well as adjustments.

Note that everything is smaller and probably has correspondingly tighter tollerances than the big old Beta boxes
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #6
brian gilbert

Thank you Don, that's helpful. I'll suggest that option to him.

-Brian
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Major Player

For the record - this being an old post.

I've actually opened up the case. It's not that hard. If you've removed the 5 allen bolts the case will open up by gently pulling at the two halves (one hand on the iris stump and the other on the hand grip).

I DO NOT RECOMEND DOING THIS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog