manual Zoom quastion. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 24th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Tourist

manual Zoom quastion.

Hi All.

I have a question about the manual zoom in the original X16 lens that come with my XL-1S.
I noticed that when i try to work with the manual zoom it's very herd to get smooth results, even if i move the zoom ring in one movement, the zoom stuck for 1 sec and continue (when i still moving the zoom ring).
I noticed in few XL1 and XL-1S reviews that the manual zoom is not very good.
can some one take me out of this big "?" and tell me if this is the way the zoom work. the zooming with the button is good, no problems.

Thanks for any help.
Donya Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

I would expect the manual zoom to be fairly smooth (no jerks or significant lag), but difficult to control with accuracy due to the servo control rather than a mechanical coupling to the zoom ring.

Is Image Stabalization turnd on? If so try manual zoom with it turnd off. That might possibly help a bit.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Forget the zoom ring for any production zoom in or pull back. It is there for framing only. The servo zoom that Don mentioned is the way this is designed and it has no direct effect like a full manual lens.

The new 20x lens on the XL2 does allow for some simplistic rack focussing if you plan well.

But back to the zoom issue. The best way to do this is to acquire a zoom controller and hook up via the lanc input. The Canon zr1000 controller is plasticy, but works quite well.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I second Jimmy's suggestion. A zoom controller is worth its weight in gold, and in my opinion it is absolutely essential for recording very smooth zooms.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Buy The Manual Lens

I just swapped my 16x autofocus for the manual lens and it's like God granted me with this gem from the heavens. This lens really is very nice...smooth focus, ultra silky zoom - and ultra sharper than the other zoom I had. I'm very glad I scrapped the autofocus....if you are not blind, this is the better lens to buy.
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog