Is the manual 16x better than the sock? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
New Boot

Is the manual 16x better than the sock?

Hello all, I have a XL1s with which I have done a few things none of which requiring any elaborate appearance. I use FCP for post and with the aid filters and what not I can get the look I want. For all this I have been using the stock lense.
However, I have now been approached by a good friend who operates a music recording studio. He asked if I would be up to filming a video for one of his groups. I think that it is a good opportunity for both. I have never done a music video before but what he has been asking is fairly simple to do so I thought I would not have a hard time satisfying him. On the other hand, I would like to test myself. I have been having the itch of getting a new lense for my camera and have been looking at the 16x manual servo lense and at a P+S teknik set up. Needless to say, there are cost factors involved with the decision. I would like more control over my DOF and was wondering if using the 16X would let me do that. I know that the lens that I am using now does not allow me to play much with DOF and the constant backfocus issues are a little pain to handle.
Does anyone have a pointer to sample footage shot with the 16x manual servo? What do you think about the lense?
I am planning on purchasing the nattress filters for that 24p look but I am very concerned about the picture itself.
thanks in advance.
Jim
Jimmy Devarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Great lens, will not deliver any different DoF characteristic than the stock lens. The P+S is a completely different situation altogether.
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Charles. Just what I suspected.
regards,
Jim
Jimmy Devarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Charles is right. I shoot with the 16x and love it. I think it's a tad bit sharper than the auto. No difference of course in DOF. IF you want to expand your toolkit and 'looks', then consider buying the 3x wide angle. This will give you more options overall. Later, you can buy the 16x manual, or swap the auto for it with someone.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Actually a little less DOF because of the 4X difference BUT... it is TERRIFIC glass for the price and is a solid performer that will make you a better shooter... no OIS though...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Not trully accurate. At a given focal length you will have exactly the same DOF.

And it is not LESS DOF because of the 4X difference, it is MORE. I understand why people misuse the term. You will have LESS of the effect of a background out of focus, because the depth of field is GREATER.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #7

The 16X Manual Servo lens produces a considerably sharper image, especially on long shots. The trouble is, you're going to need the FU-1000 B&W viewfinder to focus it. The stock EVF just doesn't cut it. On the good side, once you've made the switch you'll never look back. Day & night difference.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31911561091.jpg&s=x2
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yup,

Should have mentioned that I shoot with the FU-1000 as well.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Trustee

Sorry about the semantics... you will not get as much control over the DOF because the lens is shorter. And yes that only applies at over 16X.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog