Looking for advice on XL-1 w/a lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 24th, 2001, 06:48 PM   #16
Major Player

Vic,

I checked and the LCD I have is made by Marshall. Check out this URL >> http://www.starkelectronic.com/vlcd4pro.htm

The VariZoom line of LCDs looks a little more sleek and, although I haven't compared specs, I suspect they are both very similar in performance. The Marshall is a bare bones construction unit. I bought it with the battery pack, AC adapter, and swivel hotshoe head. Sturdy and solidly made. Check out both makes. I think both are well worth it.

Sorry about Beachtech. They make the balanced mic inputs for cameras other than the XL1. I use the Beachtech unit with my Sony.
Old December 24th, 2001, 06:53 PM   #17
Major Player

By the way, this board is priceless if you're interested in obtaining good info on MiniDV and the XL1 in particular. I just noticed I've been donned "Regular Crew." I'm truly honored. Thank you Chris.
Old December 25th, 2001, 01:03 AM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ozzie,
I heartily 2nd the opinion re: the Canon 3x wide angle lens for the XL1/XL1s. It's really an outstanding piece of glass, ideal for the tight shoot you describe. Although the lens' operation is servo-driven like the standard 16x lens, it can be operated manually with a somewhat less mushy feeling than the 16x. You can easily snap in and out of manual control via a button on the lens, enabling you to lock settings derived from auto-mode. I have never had trouble with the lens' auto focus (as others have had with the older XL1 standard lens' af).

The zoom range is, of course, limited by definition but the 3x gives you enough range to move in very nicely on a subject relatively close to the cam.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2001, 01:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Ken,

Do you know if your lens is one of the recently released ones shipped for the XL1S or the original 3X that shipped with the early serial numbers of the XL1? I've heard from some that Canon has been improving everything in the XL line including the lenses.

How sharp is the lens at full aperture compared to the 16X?
Old December 25th, 2001, 08:11 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

FYI there have been no changes made, and no changes planned, to the 3x lens since it was introduced. No difference between a 3x made in 1998 and one made this year. The improvements you're speaking of refer to the standard 16x auto lens. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2001, 01:02 AM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chris is correct. The "improved" lens is the 16x auto lens that comes as standard with the XL1s. The 3x really does not share the problems that the original 16x lens featured.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2001, 02:00 PM   #22
Major Player

Thank you for the correction Chris. I'm carefully assembling my "frankenstein XL1", as another member termed it. There are so many things to think of. For instance, since I'm director AND operator, wireless headsets are a must. Taking them on and off everytime I leave the camera is a drag, dangerous and the mini-plug in the XL1 just doesn't cut it. I'm asking the sound person to include them in the package. My concern is where to monitor from. I really want to monitor off the camera and not off the sound mixer. This is doable but a bit RubeGolbergdish. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

I'm also partial to primes. Of course to get the equivalent of a 50mm (on 35mm) I would need at 21mm (approx) on the XL1. The appeal of primes for me is sharpness and a better image but I don't know if this true. I don't know if anyone has had any experience with them on the XL1 nor if it's worth the effort.

I'm straying a little off the topic but there are some very informative articles in American Cinematographer re MiniDV used for shooting features (or parts of) and Final Cut Pro v2 as a great and cheap NLR.

End of digression.
Old December 29th, 2001, 04:26 AM   #23
Trustee

The XL1 multiplies a 35mm lens by approx 7.5x, so your 21mm would effectively be around the 157mm mark. Check out the Lens and Optics section on the Watchdog for Micheal Pappas's rack focus work around to see how he used a prime lens

Good luck with the shoot by the way
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2001, 10:58 AM   #24
Major Player

We'll just have to make those chips bigger. <g> Would I have been in the ballpark using 16mm for comparison?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog