how does xlr figure into an xl-1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 18th, 2002, 01:40 AM   #1
New Boot

how does xlr figure into an xl-1s?

i'm close to buying an xl-1s and i was wondering about audio. i know there's an adapter for xlr, but what does the adapter going to? xlr to mini, or xlr to mini? and most important: does this have any downside to the quality of the sound? cause if it do, i might just go for the pd-150 with it's hardwired xlr inputs.
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

The Canon adapters are the MA-100 and MA-200. They provide XLR/balanced inpout conversion to the RCA unbalanced inputs onthe XL1. And you get about 6 dB gain in the bargain. The MA-100 has 2 inputs, the MA-200 has 4 inputs, and both provide an improved shoulder rest as well, and a platform for mounting wireless mic receiver, etc.

The sound quality is good, but keep in mind that they are designed for mic level input, NOT line-level..

There are somethird party adapters as well, the Beachtek and Studio One products are the most commonly discussed.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Is the only diff between the MA 100 and 200 the extra XLR inputs?
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Major Player

If you are using only mic inputs, the MA-100 or 200 is a good choice, as you also get a better shoulder rest. For line level, though, a device like the Beachtek is recommended. The MA-100/200 is very easy to drive into hard limit. Neither of the mentioned devices will provide phantom power, although that's a simple fix with an adapter.

Buying a camera just to get the XLR inputs is the *least* important consideration, since the adapters take care of the issue.
Old December 19th, 2002, 05:33 AM   #5
Wrangler

The MA-200 also offers a BNC jack for composite video output.

As to line level sources, one can buy in-line XLR attenuators to step line level down to mic level. THe MA-100 (and probably the MA-200) will hard clip if the input signal peaks get much above -8 dBV (give or take a bit).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, there are lots of ways to skin the cat. I've had several instances where I managed to put the MA-100 into limit on large peaks, even with some attenuation. The big problem is, unless you are using a mixer with level indicators or something similar, you can't always be sure of the audio level feeding the MA-100. Watching the level meter on the camera keeps me busy enough.

I've never had a problem with the Beachtek when taking a feed from the house board, a feed from my Mackie, or just running mics into it through my phantom box. Due to the chance for overdriving, I only use the MA-100 with mics.

Maybe I need a sound guy!

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog