help with auto racing setting for XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
New Boot

help with auto racing setting for XL1s

I have been shooting on my canon digital SLR for sometime, so i know the generals of a decent amount of the settings that are the same on the video cameras.

I have my XL1s coming in on thursday, and this weekend I will be shooting my 1st footage with it. I will be shooting a local drift event in orlando. dont know what drifting is? here is a sample pic i took there last time:

http://www.floridaracing.org/driftin...adrift/xat.jpg

my kit will come with a polarizer, pro mist and ND filters.

Should i run the ND on the lens AND the filter, not run it at all? etc. I would like a "film like" setup. So if someone can start me off in a general direction, then i can "fine tune" from there.

I will be shooting from my 8 foot boom mainly, and maybe some shoulder/tripod shooting.

Thanks for any input you can give this newb :)
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #2
Major Player

i would kick on the nd filter in the lens and turn frame mode on. frame mode will give you a more filmic look, and is a good choice for fast action. i wouldn't mess with the shutter speed too much... higher shutter speeds sometimes introduces wierd strobes and other unwanted effects.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks!

should i use my extra ND filter i had for the attachment on the outside of the lens or just stick with the polarizer?
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Major Player

hi mark,

there are no hard or fast rules. if you're having a problem with blowouts, for example, when the sun hits a passing car, a polarizer will probably do well for you. if the lens' internal ND isn't enough, you might want to screw on your other ND filter. just keep in mind that you don't want to screw on more than one filter at a time, as this will cause vignetting in your image.

hope that helps.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog