Looking for a good view finder eye cup for the XL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 1st, 2002, 04:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Looking for a good view finder eye cup for the XL-1

I want to replace the thin rubber eyecup on the XL-1 view finder with a sturdier, more comfortable one. These are usually used in most pro cameras and I'm sure I can find one but I'm not sure of the exact dimentions and "fitting" for the XL-1.

The eyecup that comes with the XL-1 is fine for light work, but after a day of "looking into the hole" a more rigid and comfortable cup is a must. One that absorbs perspiration would be great.

Any suggestion as to where to look will be most appreciated.
Old January 1st, 2002, 05:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Ozzie

See http://www.hoodmanusa.com/hoodfinder.htm

This item is one of the components of my forthcoming "Top Five Accessories for the XL1" article. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2002, 07:49 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ozzie,

I think you'll also be interested in http://www.i-cuff.com.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player

looking for a good view finder eyecup for the XL-1

Why on earth would you want a hard viewfinder eye cup? Every little movement of your head gets transferred to the view-
finder, and thus to the camcorder, and your picture shakes, especially when you're filming at high telephoto on a tripod.
You can make a very soft, very comfortable and very cheap eyecup by cutting a strip of that yellowish-tan foam rubber they use to stuff pillows. Get a sheet 1/2 inch thick and cut a strip 2 inches by 9 inches. Take the factory eye cup off and wrap this around the viewfinder. Tape it with duct tape. It will slide back and forth for comfort. I thinned out the face-side with a scissors so the foam is so thin that little head touches don't do a thing. It costs less than a quarter.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2002, 04:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not looking for a "hard" viewfinder eye cup. In fact, what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for - soft, comfortable, sturdy and can absorb any perspiration that accumulates in a hot studio. The shooting I'll be doing is primarily on sticks. I can make one or I can find one already made. As a last resort I'll follow your directions. I would need to cover the foam with some kind of terry cloth material to absorb and to prevent the pieces of foams from ending up inside the viewfinder or in my eye. 30 cents?
Old January 19th, 2002, 08:48 PM   #6
New Boot

I cuff is the way

I cuff works great www.bhphoto.com about $39.00
Armand Rocco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog