Reds smearing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 11th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Reds smearing

Hello everyone.

I just want to start with how much I have picked up from this forum, Ive been roaming for a while and now have decided to post.

I recently picked up a Canon XL1S and have a couple questions.

First, I have noticed that at times, reds will smear or "bleed" when I connect my camera to a television screen. It doesnt happen on my computer, just on the TV. I found this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=color+smear) pretty much telling me that it happens on TV's when playing off the camera all the time, but will it happen after I burn to DVD?

Here is a sports video I shot that you may be able to see a little bit of smear on (it does on my TV when connected to my computer).
http://www.kennyrosenberg.com/movies...ands_small.mov

Also, I really really really hate the 16x OIS lens and the viewfinder...just wanted to put that out there. Def not made with sports cameramen in mind.

Thanks,

Drew Cusick
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

As noted in the link, red smearing is comon to analog video systems, especially VHS and 8mm playback, and even digital playback if conenct via composite video cable to a TV set, and to a somewhat lesser extend via s-video cables. Highly saturated reds increase the likelihood of smearing.

It should not an issue with DVD playback for video that has remained digital from the camcorder to the DVD, especially if the DVD connection is via component video cables and minimal if by s-video cables. However, if the DVD was made from video that was captured via analog input to a capture device, you may see some smearing in the video.
Old February 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you.
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

It is also easily "fixed". In Sony Vegas I applied a Chroma Blur filter and it was
gone. See if your system has something similar

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank You.
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog