Replacement Lens cap for the XL1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Replacement Lens cap for the XL1s?

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement lens cap for the XL1s? I'm using an old 35mm cap for a 72mm lens, and its cumbersome to get on and off because the grips are not in the center. I've searched on the net but can't seem to find anything, and my local camera stores around here don't have just a replacement cap. Any ideas?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

You could call the Canon toll-free number navigate to the parts section and order one from Canon - probably not cheap.
Believe the part number of the cap for the standard XL1 lens is something like:
CAP, LENS, YF1-0008-000 000.
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Or you can go to a Photography store and buy a regular 72mm lens cap that will fit just fine.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

lens cap...

This is probably more than you're asking for, but as with all things Porta-Brace, this is a killer accessory.

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_A.php?id=311

Hope it helps.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Your link doesn't work, but is this what you're referring to?

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_A.php?id=3117

have you used this before? Would you recommend it?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

lens cap...

Sorry, I rushed to copy the link and apparently missed the last number.
Yes, this is exactly the product to which I was referring and a) no. I have not used it as it has just been released. But, b), I own many Porta Brace products and not one of them has EVER been less than excellent and they all perform perfectly, and usually better than advertised. These folks do their homework and make this stuff right there in Vermont, a needle's toss away...excellent workpersonship and quality control. And, c), no, I do not work for them, nor have I ever received any of their products for free or less than
retail...unfortunately. d) I am ordering one for myself, as I most of my work is in the harsh and unpredictable year-around weather of the Rockies; less than studio conditions to be certain.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:06 AM   #7
New Boot

I've just got a Hama standard 72mm lens as replacement fro my original and it works absolutely fine, with a similar locking system to the Canon one. £4 here in the UK

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog