DV-Copying to XL1s = Bullshit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 6th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DV-Copying to XL1s = Bullshit

Hi,

sorry for this word but it's like this. Did anyone tried to copy edited material to the XL1s and use the tape than in a DV-player? The result is that it doesn't work. I did a lot of tests to find the problem. Checked the frequency of the software, locked the video but...nothing. Than I took my "old" GL-1 and...it worked. So, I got another surprise of the new Xl1s.

Does anybody know a solution?

BTW: This procedure is nessesary to go on working with my pre-edited material in a A/B-Roll Production. The recorder there is a Sony DSR-40P.
Markus Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like your tape transport needs to be tweaked, Markus. Too bad you can't try it backwards, i.e. play a tape in the XL1 recorded on the DSR40, as the 40 records DVCAM only.

In my experience, Sony DVCAM decks will generally play back DV tapes shot with Sony cameras without trouble. However I have recorded edit masters on an XL1 and played them back on a Pansonic AG-DV2000 deck. But that deck is native DV.

Think your problem may be related to the DSR-40's native DVCAM format. It probably has a very tight tolerance for DV playback that the XL1S won't meet without tweaking. If I were you, I'd contact Canon Service.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,

that means that the cam can do its second journey within two months. Thanks Canon, you did great work!

Markus
Markus Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well, in all fairness, they probably had no idea you're using a DVCAM deck. I'm not apologizing for anybody or anything, but it's important to understand that tape transport tolerances in the DV format are very very slim. It's most common for DV decks and cameras from different manufacturers to be incompatible. Canon has better luck with native DV decks. The DSR-40 is native DVCAM and DV playback on that deck is a secondary thing. If you can, you should provide Canon with a DV cassette which plays back properly in your DSR-40, and tell 'em you want the transport in your XL1 to match that. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog