Did I pay too much for a used Canon DV XL1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Did I pay too much for a used Canon DV XL1?

I paid $2500 for a Canon XL1 DV camera used that has about 190-210 hours worth of use on it. It comes with a tripod, lith battery, metal case and some other misc items. What do you think? Too many hours? Are these cameras durable?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:08 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Adam!

No, I think you paid a fair price for the total kit based on your general description. The XL1 is a durable camera that should last for thousands of hours of shooting if cared-for well.

I would, however, recommend that you send it to Canon service for a cleaning and inspection as soon as you can do so. They'll check the head alignment and make sure the overall camera is up to manufacturer's specs. It's not a free service but it's worth the time and expense to avoid more costly problems or, worse, an avoidable problem while shooting something important.

Congratulations on your new (used) XL1! You have plenty of company here at DVInfo.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken! I'm new to this board and have been doing wedding shoots for about $1000.00 and using my home PC. I have been using studio 7 since studio 8 stinks. I recently got the Premiere 6.5 version and it looks hard to use. Ilike the studio because of the ease, but I was using an old analog camcorder to film the weddings and the quaility of the picture was not good. I'm hoping the XL1 will help do the job.
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:19 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sounds like 2.5 nuptuals will cover your camera costs!

You'll want to cruise around in our "Non-linear Editing on the PC" forum when you have a chance.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM   #5
Mike Wood

Sounds like you got a good deal Adam, you should notice a big difference in quality with the switch to digital from analog.

As for editing; Premiere 6.5 is extremely easy and very efficient to use once you learn the basics.

Good luck with the camera.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

Practice a lot with the XL1. Get to know it. It is a lot different from most analog camcorders in both form factor and ergonomics.

Premiere 6.5 is a more complex tool, but you can do a lot with it. If you can find a tutorial it can help get familiar with Premiere's features. Like everything else, the way to learn it is to use it.

And $2500 sounds like a reasonable price, especiallky if it is in good condition.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

That's a reasonable price. Even better if it came with a really good tripod.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog