XL-1 head adjustment? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Tourist

XL-1 head adjustment?

I am getting "banding" also. From everything I've learned or tried, head adjustment seems to be my next option. Question: can I adjust the head myself...if so what is the procedure? I've had the doors off the tape case, but don't know what to do next. Can anyone help?
Fred Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

You cannot adjust the heads yourself. You must send the camera in to an authorized Canon service center. Locations listed at http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service. I see you're in Central Texas, so either the East coast or West coast Canon facility will do.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Head Adjustment

I also had a "banding" problem with my XL1, and it turned out to be a disintegrating tape guide. It was an intermittent alignment problem during record, so there wasn't a definded pattern to the "banding". Sent it to Canon, problem fixed. They also cleaned the camera and checked the head alignment at the same time. Hope this bit of information helps....
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Fred....

Sending the camera to a Canon service center is definitely the best, and possibly only, option.

Also, if you hadn't sent your camera in for routine maintenance in a while, it would be a good idea to get the people at Canon to check out the rest of the camera for white balance, color, etc. These things do drift occasionally and the techs will make sure the camera's performing to factory specifications.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog