Focus problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 21st, 2001, 05:00 PM   #1
andy.tookey

Focus problem

I'm new to this forum, and have read the watchdog site for all the problems on the xl1 focusing.

I filmed three concerts, one in green box mode, the other in 'Spotlight' mode. and the third in 'A' mode. The zoom was three quarters out. (distance 100 feet plus) Both orchestras are out of focus, (set on autofocus) i't's impossible to tell using the viewfinder, wasn't till I watched it on a monitor that i saw it.

The Watchdog site says set to the apeture to 5.6 and a high shutter speed, is this possible in spotlight or 'A' mode, or should I use TV/AV or 'M'?

Can I use it in 'A' or 'spotlight' and put on the ND filter to cure it?

I don't wan't to lug a monitor around with me always, is there an easy way to solve these problems?
Old September 21st, 2001, 11:03 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< I filmed three concerts, one in green box mode, the other in 'Spotlight' mode. and the third in 'A' mode. The zoom was three quarters out. (distance 100 feet plus) Both orchestras are out of focus, (set on autofocus) i't's impossible to tell using the viewfinder, wasn't till I watched it on a monitor that i saw it. >>

You're not saying whether these concerts are outdoors in bright sunlight, or indoors at night. Makes a big difference, and I don't want to assume wrong and inadvertantly give you the wrong response.

That said -- never shoot anything in Green Box, if you're serious about it. Green Box is for your little brother or your mom, if they've never held a camcorder before. Green Box is not for shooting concerts.

Second, don't use autofocus for this kind of work. Always use manual focus. Zoom all the way in on the farthest object, push the "Push AF" button on the lens to set focus, and zoom back out. Don't touch the focus again. You've set "critical focus" and as long as you don't re-position the camera, you won't have to worry about it.

Autofocus is for when you're shooting handheld. Even then I usually use manual focus though.

<< The Watchdog site says set to the apeture to 5.6 and a high shutter speed, is this possible in spotlight or 'A' mode, or should I use TV/AV or 'M'? >>

This fix is only for when you're shooting in very bright sunlight. I don't know if it would apply to your problem because I don't know what kind of light your concerts are in.

<< Can I use it in 'A' or 'spotlight' and put on the ND filter to cure it? >>

I use "A" all the time. ND filter is for daylight shooting. Spotlight is for indoor stage work. But of course you can always experiment.

<< I don't wan't to lug a monitor around with me always, is there an easy way to solve these problems? >>

Well, the monitor *is* the easy solution. I too shoot concerts and other stage events, and I always bring a monitor for that kind of work. If you don't want to take along a big CRT monitor, you can always get a VariZoom 5.6" LCD monitor (small, lightweight, battery powered) and mount it on top of your camera. This is excellent for checking focus.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2001, 02:50 PM   #3
andy.tookey

Focus Problems

Thanks for the advise Chris, should have said that the concerts were indoors in a theatre with stage lighting.
Andy
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i shoot indoor concerts all the time.

usually set the xl1s on a tripod and forget it, but lately i have doing more with it handheld.

most of the bands i film are shot in dingy seedy clubs with bad lighting.

is there a suggested setting for these conditions?

i also encounter the back focus issue. i have read about sending the lens back to canon for a fix. is there a fee for this or perhaps some kind of common warranty type adjustment? (probably not!)
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The camera has a one-year warranty. So if it's been less than a year since you bought it new, then it should be under warranty.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Focus problem

<<<-- Originally posted by andy.tookey : I'm new to this forum, and have read the watchdog site for all the problems on the xl1 focusing.

I filmed three concerts, one in green box mode, the other in 'Spotlight' mode. and the third in 'A' mode. The zoom was three quarters out. (distance 100 feet plus) Both orchestras are out of focus, (set on autofocus) i't's impossible to tell using the viewfinder, wasn't till I watched it on a monitor that i saw it.

The Watchdog site says set to the apeture to 5.6 and a high shutter speed, is this possible in spotlight or 'A' mode, or should I use TV/AV or 'M'?

Can I use it in 'A' or 'spotlight' and put on the ND filter to cure it?

I don't wan't to lug a monitor around with me always, is there an easy way to solve these problems? -->>>

hello andy,

i had/ have the same problem. bought my set up last fall, several tausend dollars, first event, and my focus is on the hunt...wow
i am not a pro, but by reading the board i found out that the lighting, background, moving people, all that triggers the lence to hunt.
last night i tried the first time everything in manual, and guess what, it came out nice.
did what chris suggested. zoomed in, pushed af and never touched it again.
i do use a 7" lcd monitor and a 13 field monitor/ + vcr to see what i am taping.

good luck
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Keep in mind that the first part of this thread is 3.5 years old!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog