Having trouble with XL1s! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Having trouble with XL1s!

I haven't put a whole lot of time into figuring this one out so it could be something minor but I have noticed that (quite frequently) the recorded footage sometimes flickers for a moment between light and dark. also, I sometimes see those digital blocks break up the frame every once and a while. Could this just be the tape, the heads, some kind of interferance? I'm not sure why but the flicker is what I'm most worried about. Any help? Please.

thanks, Dave
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Major Player

only a trip to canon servicing will be able to tell
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

Digital blocks at playback may be a sign of dirty heads among other issues, so a head cleaning might help or at least rule that source out.

Not sure what you mean by "flicker." Does it appear in live video as well, or only on playback?
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't notice any problems just viewing from a monitor so I'm sure it's just in playback. The flicker I'm noticing happens mostly when I'm shooting handheld. While I'm viewing the playback, the image will for a moment darken (2-frames maybe)

Do cleaning tapes do an adiquate job of cleaning the heads?
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Trustee

I use the tapes regularily and I've had no problems w/ my XL1s. It had started to do the blocks thing once, but I ran a cleaner and the problem went away. I believe in them...I think they work better if you use them on a schedule. I use once every 20 hours of shooting or so. I always use the same tapes stock as well.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #6
DVi Contributor

all good things must come to an end....Or at least be sent back to the factory for a good cleaning and alignment. under 100.00 and worth it.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Wrangler

Under $100? You must know something/someone I don't! :) Even when mine was a baby XL1s, still under warranty, me belonging to the XL1s owners club (oooh!), it cost me $252.00 just to have them check it out and clean it. And that's what it's been every other time, as well. What the heck am I missing?
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

yeah, could you tell me how you get it cleaned for $100. Because I remember thinking it was around $250 too. thanks
David Cummings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog