Equipment Investment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Equipment Investment

I am new to the posting site and have read the posts for a while. I am looking to purchase a camera and like a thousand people before me, I am looking for some advice. I want to use the camera for feature films/documentaris to be sent to festivals. I want to record sound into the camera and not have to rely on a DAT deck.

I have just finished a feature filmed on an XL-1 and a Sony VX-2000. The footage that was shot on the Canon had more of a film look [I thought] and the VX-2000 had a stark video look. My partner loves the Sony, and has even used the word "Hate" to describe the Canon's footage. This experience has allowed me to realize that while I read what others have to say about the Canon XL-1S and the Sony PD-150 and even the new Panasonic 24p camera [the ones that I am deciding between to purchase] - to realize that personal preference is a huge element to what people are willing to suggest/help you with.

I have enjoyed watching new features like Tadpole and Personal Velocity etc. that have used the PD-150 and am eager to see a new film by Campbell Scott filmed on the XL-1S. The information that I have collected on the Panasonic seems to reveal that for the 24P feature there are other things left out that a good camera should have.

With all that said:
1. Visually what camera would you suggest? XL-1S, PD-150 or Panasonic 24P.
2. Have any of you compared the 30i frame movie mode to the 24p Panasonic.
3. Anything else you can think to share with me.

Thanks for your help
Pete Balistrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2

Investment

You are right about the decision boiling down to individual preference. The Sony camera has its good side, I guess. But I like the softer Canon look, personally. If I want (need) the crisper video look, I can go into the menu and make my XL-1s footage look like it was shot on a Sony. But I doubt anyone will tell you the audio's better on the Sony. Even the on-board mic on the XL-1s provides awesome audio.

I suppose this issue is not unlike flying: I learned in a Cessna, so I think they're better than Pipers.

And we won't even get into the Mac vs P.C. thing.
Old February 8th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Pete,
Ditto Charles' remarks. If you've not already done so you should read through the DXV100 forum to get a feeling for what its early adopters think about the Panny 24p. Each choice represents some form of compromise so it's important that you establish an honest list of priorities and stick to them.

I'm a long-time Canon shooter; I think it's an excellent platform. But personally, I think that the particular camera selection is far less important than subject or technique.

If possible you might want to delay your purchasing decision until after the Aprl NAB conference. This is typically where the new models are introduced and might add yet a few other befuddling choices to your list.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The NAB conference.

Is this located in Las Vegas? Where could I find some information about this show?

Is it similar to the CES show? Should I consider attending in order to view footage from each of the cameras that I am thinking of purchasing. If I went would I be able to do that?

Thanks again for all your help.
Pete Balistrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Find out more at the NAB site.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog