Hope I'm not just stupid (accessory shoe Q's) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hope I'm not just stupid (accessory shoe Q's)

I was wondering if the xl1s accessory shoe holds other lights/flashes not necessarily meant for the xl1. Here’s the deal. I have an MKH-416t sennheiser mic that I have mounted in place of the original mic and I need a place to mount the power supply required to power "my precious". I want to buy the absolute cheapest thing that mounts on that shoe so I can take it apart and fit it to my power supply. Right now I just have it temporarily attached to the handle with Velcro and gaffers tape (at least this keeps me from using the VCR function haha) but it's just not gonna work in the long run. I had thought of using a mounting plate in the back but I decided against it because of all the cable clutter. Any suggestions would be great!
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Major Player

hi david...

are you referring to a phantom power supply? which phantom power supply are you using?

it's a shame to put that nice mic on-camera as opposed to on top of a boom where it would really shine... but i understand it's a necessity for a one man show sometimes.

when i had my xl1s, i usually mounted all that stuff on the mounting plate that came with the ma100/ma200. the ma200 was especially nice because you could adjust the amount of space between the mounting plate and the camera. i had a denecke phantom power supply velcroed to the dual battery charger most of the time.

or bypass all that and get a beachtek dxa6 or dxa8 with phantom power. it mounts between your camera and tripod.

if cable clutter is an issue, my advice would be to get cables of the appropriate length. if you need a 1.5 ft xlr cable, get the 1.5 ft xlr cable.

if you're going to do the hot shoe thing, you'll want to fasten the hot shoe adapter securely on the phantom power box. if the firestore can mount to the hotshoe, i don't see why a phantom power box can't. i'm thinking you could get something like a generic hot shoe extender (example link below), and use some velcro and/or gaffers tape to fasten the box on the adapter.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

hope that helps.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

you are right about camera-mounting this particular mic. I actually have a stereo set that I have booms and a DAT recorder for so I'm completely with you on that one, I just wanted to get more use out of these mics. These particular microphones are not phantom powered, they actually use an earlier type of powering called t-power or a/b powering. The power supply I got is a DENEKE and is of the same size and shape as the 48v model.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the 48v Denecke phantom power supply and I use it's battery clip to attach it to the MA-100 bracket. This lets me mount a phantom powered shotgun in the shotgun bracket or a Studio Systems B-1 in a shockmount in the shoe using a $5 shoe to 5/8 mic mount adapter. Instead of the 5/8 mount, you may be able to adapt one of these to mount your power supply on the shoe.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

looks like that could do the trick. I'll see what I can do! thanks

Oh, I do have on question for anyone out there who might have an answer. What is the difference (in audio quality, functionality, etc...) between using an ma-100 and just buying an XLR-to-3.5mm phone adaptor? Cheers!
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Look up Jay Rose on the web. He's but some through tests.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog