30p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 19th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #1
New Boot

30p

Is there any site where one can see the difference between recording normal and movie with the XL1s?
Rolando Jose Rodriguez De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Aqui tengo algunas paginas que se tratan explicar la diferencia entre NORMAL y MOVIE MODE en el XL1s.

http://www.animotion.nl/dutch/anihow/interlaced.html
http://www.aluminumstudios.com/digitalvideo/advanced/interlaced/interlaced.html
http://www.astroimaging.com/progresive.htm
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/xl1faq.php

Tenia una pagina super buena con ejemplos de videos de unos coches manejando por la calle. Pero creo que estas te explicaran el idea.

Lo siento escribir en espanol pero vi que eres de Panama y puedo escribir mas rapido en el espanol usando un teclado.

Hope you understand!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Tambien....que tal estar encontrar equipo en Panama???

Solo pregunto porque vivo entre Mexico e Inglaterra y en Mexico te cuesta un poco encontrar tiendas especiales para cameras, no esta tan facil encontrar equipo bueno como en Inglaterra.
Old February 20th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Christopher,

I hate to intrude and I certainly appreciate your desire to be cordial and certainly admire your iinguistic abilities. But the lingua franca of DVInfo is English. Could you provide a translation of you posts for those of us not aept in Spanish?

Thanks very much!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

Perhaps a technical point, but the movie recording modes are "Frame" and "Normal". The alternative to "movie" mode is "photographic".
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Chris

Well, thank you for the info, for the non spanish speakers of the site Chris just gave me a few addies to go look for the diferences, he also noticed that Im from Panama and wanted to know how is the speciallized Camera store doing here, if any.
Sadly the answer is NONE, canon Latinamerica was here for long, but like five or six years ago they moved to FL. There are no spaciallised stores for Cameras here, I usually look for products in DV Mag and buy it in the US since the prices are lower.
Another problem is that if you check the specifications to use electronic equipment they say stuf like "Dont use in placer with 80% Humidity or places hotter than 30 Degrees Celcius" Well =), for us is like saying dont use it in Panama.
I have many funny experiences working in the jungle here with those, mebbe I should write an article.
Rolando Jose Rodriguez De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rolando,
With respect to using Frame mode versus Normal mode, here's what the decision often comes down to, at least for me.

On the average, I will use Frame mode all of the time. I find the effect smoother and very pleasing for most shots. For (planned) shots involving fast action (relatively quick pans or tilts), however, I will often choose to use Normal mode and then use a de-interlacer and motion blur processor in post-production to better control the motion effect.

Over the years folks have adopted a variety of opinions and rules concerning the use of Frame mode on Canon video cameras. I'm sure you'll find plenty of others here.

Hey, I'm sure we'd like to learn about the challenges of shooting video in an ultra-humid setting such as Panama.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #8
Wrangler

Rolando, write that article! I know I'd like to see it!

(Finally... somebody on the forums with a longer name than mine...)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:51 AM   #9
Wrangler

In the early 1970s I spent some time in Panama and what was the Canal Zone. There were some good buys on cameras and electronics in Panama City and Colon (significantly better than USA prices on most imports). Sounds like those days are gone.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Rolando Jose!

In Panama the heat is very humid and hot like the area in Mexico I live in. Do you have a problem with a kind of mold occurring on the metalic parts of equipment??? Maybe in other parts but its more visible on metalic parts. Here in England never get any problem, but in Mexico always seemed to get this odd blotchy (como de puntitos) of mold type of thing. You get this problem???

If you do what do you do? How do you store your gear? Even if the gears in wardrope it seems to still occur. I used to store photo film in fridge, but what about DV tapes? I have a minidisc and small DV camera, thats not been to mexico for a year now, and this little type of mold is still on. You wipe it off and goes, but seems to come back a bit later, so never really goes. Maybe you have no idea what I'm on about, but its like just little dot stains rather than a mold.

IN SPANISH (as above, just to ensure better understanding)

En las partes de metal de las cameras o equipo salen como manchitas de algo semejante de un moho. Quien sabe que es, solo se me pasa en mexico. Creo es por el clima de mucha humedad y calor. Lo mismo se pasa a ti??? Y como guardes tu equipo y cintas para que eso no se pasa. No afecta el equipo solo que eso pasa en los lugares metales. Quizas se pasa en otros lugares pero no esta tan visible como en las partes de metal. Ojala me entiendes!
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Major Player

And sorry KEN for not providing a translation before. But I was in a hurry and so just wrote it in spanish and it was only really directed at Ronaldo Jose. And as I explained to him, I just type faster in spanish, hence the language. But as you can tell I have no problems in either language. Just faster typer in spanish. :)

The Speedy Gonzalez of the keyboard. hahaha
Old March 1st, 2003, 04:31 PM   #12
New Boot

Not quiute was I was looking for...

I was really lookiung more for an image view, just wanted to compare the full frame image to the field uimage.
Or check if the 30p Mode of canon does something like the 24p mode of the panasonic.
Rolando Jose Rodriguez De Leon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog