Urgent Mic Help (Again) Please!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 24th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Urgent Mic Help (Again) Please!!!

Hi guys,

Thank you for a wonderful & informative site!

I need some quick guidance please. I have to admit that I’ve read many threads regarding mics but still need some quick answers. My employer is breathing down my neck to start making some cash with the expensive equipment he’s bought me. I now have to get mics + the MA200.

From everything I’ve read I’ve got the following questions, your help would once again be highly appreciated:

1. The MA200 seems the best option for external mic setup, giving more input features later. Is it a better shoulder mount than the standard one on the XL1s?
2. We need to film some corporate stuff as well as documentaries in the bush. I now have to decide on a lavaliere or shotgun (for fishpole mounting) to record my actors & other stuff? Which is better?
3. I read this thread from Steve Thompson:

“I threw away my Azden WR-22 system (yes...threw it away) and purchased the following setup:

· 3- Azden 311-LT True Diversity Table Top receivers with lapel mics and rack mount brackets @ $215 each
· Gemini Power Conditioner @ $59.95
· Behringer MX602A Mixer @ $59.95
· Raxxess 3 Space Slider Drawer @ $69.95
· Gator Rack Mount Case @ $89.00

I divided the drawer into 2 sections using a piece of plywood. The mixer is on 1 side and all my mics, cabling, batteries are kept in the other side. Whenever I do a wedding, I simply place the Gator case on a table in the rear of the church, wire the audio into Camera, and have yet to get any static. My mics are placed on the Groom, the Priest, and the podium where the readings are being read."

Is there a complete package (i.e. wireless, lavaliere, receiver etc.) I could buy?
4. Where is a good place to purchase such items? They would have to ship to South Africa though.
5. Any other microphone information you think necessary for a newbie.

Thank you again for all the help!

Jean Kichenbrand
Jean Kichenbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Urgent Mic Help (Again) Please!!!

1. The MA200 seems the best option for external mic setup, giving more input features later. Is it a better shoulder mount than the standard one on the XL1s?

You will probably have to get the MA400 since I think the MA200 is out of production. I believe the MA400 is a better unit than the MA200 anyway.

2. We need to film some corporate stuff as well as documentaries in the bush. I now have to decide on a lavaliere or shotgun (for fishpole mounting) to record my actors & other stuff? Which is better?

Right tool for the right job. I wish I had someone with a fishpole on a number of shoots since it would have worked better than a lav. However, there are plenty of times a lav is the only way to go.

Is there a complete package (i.e. wireless, lavaliere, receiver etc.) I could buy?

DVinfo sponsors can probably help you there. Since you can go with a table top system you might want to look at Sennheiser Evolution 500 system or some Lectsonic. If really portable wireless is desired try Sennheiser Evolution 100 or 300 systems.

5. Any other microphone information you think necessary for a newbie.

Cruise the Internet and links from DVinfo.net. There are a number of really great websites dealing with audio.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

What is the MA400?

Canon still lists the MA100 and MA200 on the canondv web site. as XL1s accessories.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I have only ever seen MA400 listed on a site...I believe XL1s Watchdog...as a theoretical adapter...ie one for the future that people would have as their 'dream' adapter. I just got MA-200 from Optex here in UK and its on their site as only model with MA-100 (2 XLR) and MA-200 (4 XLR).

So is there a MA-400??? cos i havent seen one..
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's the sites of MA400 ideas:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images16.php

Looks pretty sweet, but no doubt if realised bet it would cost a tonne!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #6
Wrangler

That is not a real announced product, at least not at this point in time. It is a users wish/suggstion item. Looks like it would be a US$600 or so item if offered.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #7
Wrangler

I got confused about the numbers. I thought the MA200 was the low end item and forgot the first one was the MA100. Oh well. I won't tell you my teenagers told me since I think that's kind of crude.

Anyway, that just means the MA200 is not a bad choice.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog