Wide-angle lens choices for XL1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 27th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide-angle lens choices for XL1?

Hey all,

This is my first post on this fourm. It looks like a great support community and I'm glad to be here! I don't own an XL1 series camcorder yet but I am planning on purchasing one in the next few months.

How would you guys rate the 3X wide angle Canon lens? Is it difficult to get/hold focus? Are there limitations built in that are similar to the standard 16X II auto-zoom?

I know I want the 16X manual servo lens (tedious adjustments and all) for its greater user control over the standard lens. Are there any wide angle full-manual capable lenses available for the XL1?

screw-on lens adapters seem like the only 2nd option. Can you use an additional wide-angle converter on the 3X lens for an even more aggressive view?

Using my Canon EOS lenses for anything other than long-distance shots is out of the question with the x7.2 focal length conversion.

Much appreciated!

Craig Weinstein
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome aboard, Craig! Have you seen this XL Wide Angle Lens review?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No, I haven't seen that article. I'll go check it out now. Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2003, 12:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Well, I love the 3x lens, despite has the same servo zoom that the stock 16x lens does. I consider it one of the most valuable tools in my camera kit. The article Chris posted covers it fairly well.

Zoom through converters are a viable alternative to the 3x lens, especialy since they are about half the price. However, if you can find a used 3x lens, it's easily worth the extra difference.

As far as I know, there are no manual wide angle lenses for the XL1.
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

There could be a full manual wide angle lens, if someone was willing to buy this Fuji 12x and modify it as described.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I looked up that Watchdog article on lens options the other day but I didn't think the Fujinon 12x wide lens went anything beyond a non-useable possibility.

If Optex, Century Optics or Fujinon itself were to release an XL1 adapter (and servo remount) I'd put this lens on my list. I do not have the knowledge or experience necessary, however, to mess with optical mounts.

So I guess at this point my best lens choices upon purchase of my XL1S will be:

*Canon 16X Manual Servo Zoom
*Canon 3X Wide Angle auto-zoom
*EOS lens adapter for my 35mm lenses
*Step-down screw-on lens adapters? (to adapt wide, fisheye, macro, or zoom converters?

Thanks guys!

Craig
Old February 28th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #7
Wrangler

Century Optics offers some bayonet-on wide angle converters/adapters for standad XL1 lenses. Not cheap, but good. They offer different degrees of zoom-through.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm currently opting for (but have not purchased yet) the 16x Manual, and using that as my base for lense application. So, instead of buying a 3x wide as well, I'm looking at the Century Optics wide angle attachments. I thought I'd take advantage of the 16x Manual's stationary head for various applications.

Unless anyone has some better advice... :)
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:35 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Andrew,
I have the 3x lens and really believe it's an excellent value and very useful. It's worth saving up for if your budget is tight.

Failing that, although I've not used the Century .7x adapter I assume it's of good quality. Century has a very good reputation for optical manufacturing.

Off hand, the caveat that comes to mind is one of weight. The adapter will add 720g of additional weight to the already-hefty 920g 16x manual servo lens, giving the assembly a total weight of just over 3.6 lbs. What's more, that additional weight will be at the end of the 16x lens, the point of greatest moment-arm on an already nose-heavy camera. That configuration will make the camera even more uncomfortable and unsteady for handheld shooting, a consideration that may be particularly acute since the 16x offers no image stabilization.

The other issue that comes to mind is the adapter's apparent lack of a hood or even a fitting for a hood. (I say "apparent" based on the photgraph of the product on Century's site.) Wide-angle shots are especially susceptible to off-angle lens flare.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 10:09 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm not too concerned about the weight. Being an avid weight lifter has it's advantages in this field :)

The .7 adapter does come at a price however, but still cheaper than the Canon 3x. I want the manual in any case, but I do see the shading problem you mentioned. More to ponder over!
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The 3x wide-angle has always seemed a bit expensive to me, loosing the Steadyshot feature and not going particually wide either. Optex make two add-on single elements, but they're spherical and add lots of barrel distortion (bad). Same goes for all of the common zoom-through converters - a cheap way of doing it, but too much distortion for my liking.

Best to aim for an aspheric like the Bolex Aspheron (made for 16mm film). This can be used on the 3x and will dramatically shorten the focal length.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

links

can someone give some links on manufacturors of wide conversion lens and wide attach lenses for xl1?
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Century Optics, Optex.

Please see the notice linked at the bottom of this message.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #14
Wrangler

Cavision also makes some wide angle goodness for the XL1.
Old March 11th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #15
Regular Crew

3x canon

my $.02, save for the 3x. I use my 3x more than I do the 16.
ja135321 is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog