Who makes this matte box? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Who makes this matte box?

Does anyone know the manufacturer of this matte box/sunshade?

http://www.dfmmag.com/images/xl102.jpg

If so, let me know.

Thanks,

Will Boggs
DustBowl Productions
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hard to say, looks like a Chroziel or some other high-dollar model. Difficult to tell at that angle.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:46 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I agree with Chris that it's really hard to tell, but the sunshade looks similar to Chrosiel's basic design. Birns & Sawyer shows illustrations of a different model but it may give you a clue.

http://www.birnsandsawyer.com/cdva-matteboxesandsunshades-chrosziel.htm

These are pricey but are of very high quality from a very reputable film accessory manufacturer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:24 PM   #4

Glad this subject was brought up!

I've been considering getting a mattbox since it does take a bit of time to change the screw-on type filters.

Any consensus on this from those of you who've put numerous hours in the field? Which is better? Screw-ons or mattbox?

Also, is anyone familiar with this model:

Image 2000
3-Stage Matte Box:*
For use only with*
Optical Resin Filters

89mm for XL-1 16x &*
3x lenses
$395*

found at http://www.birnsandsawyer.com/cdva-matteboxesandsunshades-image2000.htm?

Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:01 PM   #5

To some extent your selection will depend on the type of lenses you plan to use. If you only plan to use an internal-focus lens (i.e. one whose outermost focus element does not rotate) you can use either a rod or a lens-attachment design. If you use a lens such as the XL1's 14x manual lens whose outermost element rotates you'll have to use a rod-supperted unit (as far as I know).

I really can't authoritatively compare brands or models, but I'm sure others will be able to help.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It isn't a Chroziel or cavision. The edges of the Chroziel don't bevel inward as this one does. Someone suggested it looked like an Arri box but I don't think they make anything that small. The rods and follow focus look to be cinetech. What is up with the cinetech website anyway? I went there to research their products and you can't view anything. I emailed them and still have no reply.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced follow focus that works well?
Old January 23rd, 2002, 09:16 AM   #7

Will,

Just to let you know...

I saw this follow-focus on the same site as the mattebox I asked about above. Has quite a bit of information...but no price listed.

http://www.birnsandsawyer.com/cdva-followfocusandaccessories-willytec.htm
Old January 23rd, 2002, 09:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Cinetech prices for follow focus

I don't know what you consider reasonable prices, but the cinetech prices are:

Universal follow focus - $1,675.00
Scale knob for follow focus - $650.00
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

"Reasonable price" is pretty subjective. I don't think I can consider $2000 reasonable for a small piece of plastic and aluminum that has a few gears on it. A follow focus is not that complex. It is also pretty rediculous that you can buy a lens like the Canon 16x mechanical cheaper than a follow focus. Isn't that putting the cart before the horse. I look at the lens as a much more complex and important piece of gear--even the 16x mechanical. I guess I am saying that it would be really nice if someone out there would manufacture an affordable follow focus--say in $500/600 range that would work for cameras like the XL1s and the JVC GYDV500. We are talking about $4000 DV cameras, not a $100,000 Arriflex. If you can afford a new Arri then $2K for a follow focus is nothing. Lets face it, shooters are going to buy a follow focus because they know they can use it to get the job done when the job requires that piece of gear. There have been several times when I could have used a follow focus but the main reason I haven't bought one is the price. (I live in a rural area so renting is really not an option in case anyone wondered) The same goes for matte boxes. They are pretty high in price for a piece of plastic--again, not an overly complex device. It seems as though the main reason we are seeing these prices is because they are carried over from the film world where high prices for plastic parts is just the norm. To outfit an XL1s with a Chroziel 4x4 sunshade, Chroziel follow focus, and rails runs about $3500. Another $300 and you can buy a second XL1s complete kit!
Old January 25th, 2002, 02:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes you hit it on the nose there. It seems to me there is a huge demand on our part and if some enterprising people went into it, they wouldn't have any competition.
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:28 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

VariZoom makes a remote focus control for the 16x manual lens. It clamps to your tripod pan handle. Not quite the same as follow focus but much more affordable at $600.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

the matte box is a Shade FX (I am about 98% positive it is)

http://www.prosourcebmi.com/products/shadefx.htm

I talked to Mike at ProSource and the price for the 2 simultaneously rotating filter model is $995 and the 2 independently rotating filter model is around $1300... pretty pricey but supposedly nice stuff.

hope this helps

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2002, 01:50 PM   #13
dmorgan99usa

Follow Focus try http://www.jbkcinequipt.com/

<<<-- Originally posted by Will Boggs : It isn't a Chroziel or cavision. The edges of the Chroziel don't bevel inward as this one does. Someone suggested it looked like an Arri box but I don't think they make anything that small. The rods and follow focus look to be cinetech. What is up with the cinetech website anyway? I went there to research their products and you can't view anything. I emailed them and still have no reply.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced follow focus that works well? -->>>

This place seems to be a little cheaper, All these type items are very expensive. Know of a small machine shop? We could go into business.

regards
Dennis

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog