Connecting XLR cables together... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 11th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Connecting XLR cables together...

I am looking into buying some XLR cable for me and my camera even though I still don't own any XLR mic. So here is my question: As XLR cables are connected together, is more quality lost than if I had just one long XLR cable? When I say quality lost, I really mean does more interference take place, because I understand you're not really losing quality. My way of thinking was that if I bought ten 10 foot XLR cables, I could connect them together and have a 100 foot cable, two 50 foot cables, ten 10 foot cables, an 80 foot with a 20 foot, and so on and so forth. The combinations and possibilities are endless, but if, with every XLR connection between cables I gain more interference then it would not be worth buying ten 10 footers. So, does anyone know about this, or, is my question unclear? (I know it might sound complicated.) Thanks in advance for your useful and helpful information!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

The major issue is that a single cable is going to be more reliable than using several shorter cables connected together. Connectors are the most likely points of failure with a cable. Also one longer cable will cost less tahn two shorter cables adding to the same net length. But when allis said and done, buy lengths that are convenient for you to use.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Another problem with connecting multiple cables together is you will lose some dBs from the connectors. So the less you have in the path the better.

I know this can be an issue with 802.11b (high frequency wireless computer stuff) but it probably isn't as noticable with the lower frequencies of audio.
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

Signal loss at audio connectors is normally not significant, if there is noticeable loss, something is probably wrong with the connection.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #5
Major Player

OK thanks guys! I think I will buy a 50 ft, 10 ft, and 5 ft to start. I'll see what happens. Thanks!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog