xl1 filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 26th, 2001, 05:59 AM   #1
KISMedia

xl1 filters

Looking for a broad selection of filters for the xl1.
Interested in more than uv or polarizer.
Any help will be appreciated.
Scott
Old September 26th, 2001, 08:50 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tiffen Filters

Hi Scott,

There are a couple of filters I've been testing...and getting great results with.

One is the Tiffen Enhancing Filter. It boosts mainly reds, but also oranges and yellows, but doesn't affect other colors. I used it filming a cultural festival that included lots of traditional costumes...and the colors were incredible.

Another that I've been testing is the Tiffen Soft FX filter (the regular one, not the warm one). I read on a message board somewhere that you could get more of a "film" look with this filter, and so far it appears to be true. You get kind of a 70s film soft, grainy look. I think I'll be using it quite a bit. Especially closeups of people.

There are a few more on my "next shopping spree" list. One is the Tiffen half gradient filters (blue and polarizing) that can be used to tame a washed out sky or tone down a bright foreground. Another is the "Black" Soft FX that I've read makes the image more natural in appearance than the regular Soft FX that I'm using now.

That's my two cents worth. Hope it helps.
Old September 26th, 2001, 03:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Filters

I've had great success using the TIFFEN Warm Pro Mist #2 and #3 Filters to achieve a warmer look to the video. The filters really work well on weddings and interviews where light control is used.

I've been looking for a filter that will warm and enhance the color saturation without causing bleeding as you will get from increasing the color saturation on the XL1S.

I want to enhance the richness of the video by enhancing the colors and gamma correcting; however, keeping the black and shadows unaffected. (Similar to film). I’ve been able to do this on certain projects by importing the video to Photoshop and digitally enhancing each frame. You can see a sample on our web site.

Anyone have any experience with the TIFFEN 812 Filter?

Robert R Gallegos
Robert R Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2001, 07:46 PM   #4
KISMedia

Filter info

Thanks so much for the info.
I like the the samples given on the Tiffen page.
The 812 looks fabulous.
Later
Scott Davis
KIS Media

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog