Anyone heard about this Night Shot device? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone heard about this Night Shot device?

Hi,

I myself am not particulary interested in this device, nor do I have the budget for it, but has anyone already heard from it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Seems neat for those who could use it...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that's the first I've heard of it... but it certainly sounds like some major progression in night shooting. The night vision I'm used to, of course, has the green hue to it, and usually only works at up to about 10 feet.

Sounds like another useful tool to have handy for that special circumstance.
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh man, i'd love to see some footage shot with this. Looks cool.
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Astroscope is by Electrophysics Corporation and it works. It is true intensified night-vision. The servo functions of the XL lens are passed on to the lens which is relocated to the front of the device.

There are versions of it to fit a comprehensive range of video camcorders, including ENG/EFP cams also the likes of the Sony PD150 family of camcorders.

Look up Military and Law Enforcement Technologies. They are an Australian outfit. Their website has some good info and links.

True. - You can have any colour you like as long as it is green, but a 10 foot limitation - No.

All such devices require some light and if this is present across the landscape like moonlight in clear air, it will see as far as the eye can.

A 1000mm telephoto lens is an impossibility at night even with a little added light because of the small available aperture. A NV intensifier can restore the functionality of a telephoto lens, albeit without the colour or resolution of direct-to-camera.

Images of bushfires are spectacular as the near-IR capacity of the intensifier brings up stuff your eye does not see. Post process the green to red and up the contrast and the images work dramaticaly well.

Vehicle and aircraft exhausts show up but this is not the same system as the reality shows sometimes feature in the helicopter shots of Police pursuits at night.

In totally dark conditions, infra-red assistance is needed, then the limitation is to how far that illumination goes out. There is a still image at www.dvinfo.net/media/hart shot with a similar device titled "Bandinv2 .JPG" or similar which illustrates the illumination assistance. There is another, "firecomp.JPG" which is not anyhere near the best of bushfire images but illustrates what is seen. "e10.JPG" is another.

(You can't use the PYSER PNP-HG into a PD150 without considerable modification as it is purpose built to another function. The Astroscope is comprised of modular sections which enable a selection of features to be tailored to a range of camera types. The PYSER based rig can be seen as a still image "bhe11.JPG")

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 18th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #5
Trustee

For more information on the Astroscope for XL1/XL1s/XL2 and XL-H1 cameras, here is a direct link:

http://www.electrophysics.com/Browse...yId=30&Area=NV

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog