Back packing with a XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 18th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Back packing with a XL1S

Has anyone hiked/back-packed with their camera? Looking at getting into out of the way spots in the South West soon - some of these areas you have to park the 4x4 and hike an additional 3 plus miles in. I'd like to get shots of places that a lot of folks just haven't got to yet, therefore the question regarding backpacking. I looked at the porta brace web site and saw they have something that may be used just want to see if anyone has had any experience (good or bad). Any thoughts are welcome...
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #2

Don, I don't have the PortaBrace backpack, but I have taken my XL1s on several extended hikes (5+ miles one way) thru the hills of West Virginia and the Everglades of Florida. One trip, a little over a year ago, lasted the entire week and covered many miles. No doubt a few people here will tell you there are smaller, lighter cameras, but they aren't the XL1s. The pay-off will be worth every inch!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow Jay, how many batteries do you take with you on those kinds of expeditions? I'm assuming you had a means of recharging batteries during the night on week-long trips....
Old March 18th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #4

I carry four batteries for about ten hours of total shooting time. However, I've never shot that much tape in a single day. The batteries are rotated. The truck was used as a "base camp" where I would return and recharge the spent battery/batteries every evening.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Warden

Lowe Pro makes a great bag for backpacking with the XL1.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

THe Porta Brace backpack is a great case, but a poor backpack. Very uncomfortable for serious use. I'd look at the LowePro backpacks instead, or alternately, get a real hiking backpack and modify it yourself.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The Portabrace "Hiker" has no waist belt, only shoulder straps. If you hike, you know that won't work for even a moderate load after awhile. I saw a Kata backpack at NAB 2002. It was a prototype at the time, but it looked like a contender.

LS-A
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Here's how you should not do it.

We were moving to another location downstream about 100 yards down and my bud picked up this small trout along the way, so this actually looks worse than the actual pic would sway.

The pack in the picture is an actual "meat pack" outfitted for a XL1s. Something like Dylan mentions above. The bad thing about it is.....that it is not waterproof.

But, you won't ever catch one of my cameras like this....that's for sure. hehe

http://www.rollcastproductions.com/i...wnottodoit.jpg
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i don't know if you remember my last post asking what backpacks were best for the xl1s. i made a trip down to b&h just to look at the bags. i never expected backpacks for camcorders, not to mention a camcorder the size of an xl1s to say the least, to be so huge, rugged and just plain uncomfortable.

a week ago, my mind was set on getting a backpack, so that i could have my hands free to carry, shoot, etc. but after checking out what backpacks are out there for the xl1s, i just ended up getting a carry bag. my 2 cents...
Edwin Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I recently bought the larger Lowepro Dryzone to help my GL2 survive the Florida summer rainstorms. The pack is great! Instead on using it only for hiking and biking, I plan to use it all the time. It is very comfortable, and the divider system is flexible enough to make any MiniDV camera owner happy.
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog