How do I bypass the headphone jack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 20th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How do I bypass the headphone jack?

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I did a search and couldn't come up with the answer. How can I bypass the headphone jack on my GL-1? It doesn't seem to give enough volume for one thing, and it fuzzes out with loud sounds that often record just fine to tape. I'm thinking there has to be a way to use the socket that the audio/video cable plugs into. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks much if someone can help.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 05:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

The solution maybe to change to more efficient headphones. The headphone jack has limited power output capability. Some headphones just need too much power to yield desired volume level in the ears and in the process may put the internal headphoen amp into distortion.

Alternative to higher efficiency headphones is to use an external headphone amp to boost the jack output to the pointit can drive your headphons.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Am using Sony MDR-7506 headphones, which are pretty much the best that I can afford. I did try a cheap headphone booster from Radio Shack and if anything, the fuzzing was worse. I've heard complaints about the GL-1's headphone jack before, and that's why I was hoping there would be a way to use the audio from the audio/video plug, which I'm told is line level. I also own a SoundDevices MM-1 preamp which has a headphone jack with great volume control and an input to mix in sound from a monitor. Surely there's a way to use the red and white RCA plugs on the A/V cord to connect to the MM-1. Am unsure what kind of adapters I would need to accomplish this. The MM-1 requires a balanced input.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

I believe that you can pull consumer line level audio from the analog AV output jack, but you will need to use the special AV cable and an external headphone amp.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 08:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks, as always Don.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog