Remove Cassette? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 7th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remove Cassette?

I've recently run into a problem with my Xl1, where I will be filming and all of the sudden the message "Remove Cassette" will appear in the viewfinder, and will stay there until I remove the tape. I figured it was only the tape but I switched and after about 5min it happened again. When it started happening it only occurered every so often, I would just take the tape out and put it back in and be fine. Now it happens everytime I put a tape it and I can't record.

Anyone experience this? I called Canon but their closed for the day.
Should I try a local authorized repair shop or has this happened to anyone before?
Harrison Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you try a cleaning cassette to clean the head? That might help, if not you most likely will have to send it in for repair.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This seems to be a common problem with these cameras. Mine is doing the same thing, but is not quite as far along as yours yet.(periodic tape eject messages, sometimes powering up from standby mode without turning the switch on, and periodic difficulty in getting it to eject the tape-I just hope mine keeps going until the autumn wildlife recording is over.)

The only answer is to send it in for service and if you belong to the Xl1 club it should be completed in less than two weeks, unless they do not have the parts on hand. I used to get the L2 repaired by independents, but I think that Canon will not sell parts for the XL series to independent repairmen so repairs must be perfomed by Canon but I may be wrong on this.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes i've been there too! My XL1s was 14 months old when it decided to 'eat' rewinding tapes with the red flashing message 'remove the tape'.

It went to an authorised Canon agent for inspection and the idle gear was replaced, total cost £80 GBP. Everything was fine until 6 months down the line and it chewed a wedding tape on rewinding. Not happy.

It went back into the service agent who replaced the entire transport system - total cost £ 250 GBP.

Touch wood - everything fine 6 months on from that.

Canon strongly deny any fault in the manufacture of the transport systems, however, I personally know two other people who have had exactly the same scenario, one a Canon XL and one a GL. Seems a little fishy?
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had the same problem with my XL1 last summer (2005). I sent the camera to Canon in the fall for repairs and they had to replace the Recorder Unit, DMC as well as a cushion stand all for about $650.00 CDN. I only used the camera a few times during the holidays. Everything ran fine.

Then in the spring of this year when I started to use the camera, I encountered the same problem. So back it went to Canon and they had to replace the same components. This time they only charged me $400.00 CDN for labour.

Other things that's starting to fall apart on my XL1 (purchased back in 2001):

1) The handgrip broke (cheap plastic - fixed it with Crazy Glue)

2) The point where the viewfinder rotates broke (cheap plastic - fixed it with crazy glue)

3) "Check Lens" would come on when battery level is low. Camera would power down. I now switch battery when I see the last quarter bar remaining.

I'm not too crazy about their product quality but the video image is what keeps me staying with Canon.

I hope Canon uses better components in their other models (XL1s, XL2, XL H1, XHs). I'm eyeing on the XL H1 to replace my XL1.

Good luck
Norman Woo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog