? Headphone to Listen from? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 22nd, 2003, 07:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Headphone to Listen from?

Hello All,
My camera is the XL1s with a Mackie 1202-VLZ. As a new guy to the audio world my question is, should I listen thru the mixer or the camera? What is my true and final way of monitoring/testing audio for other than playback? Also when I feel comfortable with my levels in the camera (headphones to camera) my audio seems lower thru the mixer. So far I have been going thru the camera to rec/playback my audio that I find acceptible. I hope I am making some sense here.

Any info would greatly helpful!

Thank
Alex
Old March 22nd, 2003, 07:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Forgot to mention I am also using the MA200.

Again thank for any help.
Alex
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Alex, when connecting the Mackie to your camera through the MA200, it is best to set the output switch on the back of the mixer to the Mic position. The MA200 is designed to accept microphone levels, not line levels.

It is best to monitor your audio at the camera. The mixer can sound fine and still be overdriving the inputs to the camera, especially if the output switch is in the +4 position.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:36 PM   #4
New Boot

Ed,
Thank you for your reply. Ok so let me see, by pushing in the button it becomes MIC, which is what I want right, the other way it is in+4? Is that right? Thanks on the monitoring from the camera it makes the most sense.

Again thanks for the help,
Alex
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Also can I use a headphone extension in case I need to be a distance from the camera with out losing any whatever I would lose in doing this?

Thanks
Alex
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, you want the button pushed in, that is the Mic position. As for using an extension cable, that might depend on which headphones you use. The headphone amp in the XL1S is not particularly loud.

Having said what I did about monitoring audio at the camera, I have to admit that I often monitor the mixer, primarily because I need to hear two channels on the mixer that do not go out to the camera. The led display on the Mackie is accurate and can be used to monitor levels, provided the mixer is properly set up (adjust trim) and you keep out of the yellow. If the output switch is in the Mic postion, you should be OK. Wouldn't hurt to check the camera whenever you get a chance though.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 10:09 PM   #7
New Boot

Ed, If I push the button to MIC it cuts the audio way low.

Hmm
Alex
Old March 22nd, 2003, 10:38 PM   #8
Major Player

<,Ed, If I push the button to MIC it cuts the audio way low. >>

Sounds like it's working!

Are you in Auto or Manual record mode. In the menus, do you have Audio 1 set to Mic, Mic ATT or Line? It should be set to Mic.

As a starting point try this:

Adjust Mixer Trim
Set Main Out levels to peak no higher than +6 on the Mackie
Set Output Switch on mixer to Mic
Set Camera to Audio 1 (Switch behind door)
Set Camera Rec Level to Auto
Set Audio 1 in menu to Mic

Your camera levels should be good. Camera led display should be full scale peaking just under 0. If you switch Rec Level to Maunal, you'll have to pay close attention to the camera levels to avoid clipping.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 06:30 AM   #9
Wrangler

Some mic outputs tend to be around -30 dBV. If this is the case with the 1202-VLZ, you may find it better to use the MIC ATT setting.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 08:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Don, the Main Output Level switch on the Mackie is marked +4/Mic. The Owners Manual indicates that when the switch is engaged the "switch pads the balanced XLR Main Outputs by 30dB".

How does this relate to -30dBV? Given the above information, do you think Mic ATT would be a better choice? Thanks!
Old March 24th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #11
Wrangler

MIC ATT is probably the better setting. But try both and see which works best for you.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog