MiniDisk question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Well. I take the headphones out to a RCA connection to the audio in on the DV bridge. Then I just press record in Premiere or whatever the program is. You also have to have a video source going but just not record it. So far it has worked great. My problem was it not coming in loud enough. It came in very clear and clean. I was having problems with my Lav mic until I figured out how to use it...lol.

It has worked great so far. I have used it on two voice over projects so far and they sound amazing.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I had seen the DV bridge in ads. Is this a better method than just plugging into a sound card? What does the bridge do?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 01:58 PM   #18
Major Player

well It wouldnt be better but I was reciving some noise off of my sound card to my mini disc so I cant use it as an option (more of bad feedback). Otherwise I would. No real difference as far as voice over goes and I wouldnt think it would be to much of a problem otherwise.

Old April 13th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #19
New Boot

How are you importing your recordings?

Guys,
Sony doesnt make ANY portable minidiscs that allow digital exporting of material you recorded from a line or mike input. Period. They stopped that feature a couple of years ago. The only work around is a home Minidisc deck with optical or SPDIF outs. There are a few pro Minidisc portables that do, at about 5 times the cost of a 707. Check out the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 as an alternative. It records WAVs at 44.1 with optical in or 48 with line ins. It allows full exporting of all files. Chris
Old April 13th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #20
Wrangler

For what its worth, I just completed a project which used both music and ambient sound recorded on a Sharp MT-15 minidisk with a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo microphone (I've recently added a Vivanco EM216 stereo lapel mike to my arsenal, but haven't used it in the field yet). I transferred the audio to my computer by capturing through my sound card.

The results were excellent and, to my ear, listening over my editing bench monitoring speakers, sounded every bit as good as the audio captured directly by my VX2000. Though the purist in me prefers an all-digital transfer solution, analog capture is clearly more than adequte.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Does the Jukebox support Mac? It doesn't look like it does.
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #22
Major Player

No it doesn't. I would hope since sony started mini disc that they would at least get on the ball and make it useful. From what I can tell they won't do anything to create a program that can import the files through USB. What a shame look at what they could do if they did. I just wonder if there is another app out there that allows for us to use the USB to import these files?

Rob
Old April 14th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The only way I can see to do this is to buy the cheapest minidisc deck off of E-bay that I can find that has digital outputs. Go from there to an M-Audio CO3 (http://www.minidisco.com/co3.html) which strips off the copyright protection and from there to an Edirol UA-1D USB connector (http://www.minidisco.com/ua-1d.html).
This seems like an awful lot of trouble and expense, not to mention having to worry about when Sony is going to introduce a new layer of copyright protection. Sony seems so determined to kill off this technology, it makes me hesitant to invest in any minidisc-only related gear. I'm kind of leaning towards loving the format for what it does well (my NZ10 sounds really good!), and putting up with the analog transfer until I can afford to move up to a different technology altogether, like DAT or harddisk. I'm also kind of looking at the ART DIO, which would serve a double function as an analog/digital converter to the minidisk (at least these units have optical in!), as well as ensuring a clean analog transfer to the computer. At some point, I think I would still be able to use it for whatever new technology comes along. It's 24 bit. I like the looks of the SoundDevices USBpre too, but I wish there was a way to power it without the USB. How am I suppose to make a field recording on another media besides a laptop?
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #24
New Boot

The Nomad Jukebox 3...

I'm very sorry, but the NJ3 is currently PC only. It's a shame, as I love mine. The 20Gig version (smallest) records 48 Khz WAVs for 30 hours. Amazing. Just amazing. It's worth gettin' a $100.00 PC just to upload and burn the waves...
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #25
Warden

Marco, did you see this post I made this morning?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #26
Major Player

very cool. It is a shame that sony is destroying their own invention. Anyways PDA audio. Sounds like a very good thing. Soon you will be able to record everything on PDA.

Old April 14th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Thanks for pointing out the link. I see Mac users get screwed again. Why doesn't that just figure?
Old April 14th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #28
Warden

Quote:
I see Mac users get screwed again
Well, sort of. You can remove the CF card and copy the digital files to your HD. I do that with my digital still photos now, and it's not too much of a hassle. The Sharp Zaraus runs Linux and OS X has X11 so, it's only a matter of time until someone wrote a program that would do it directly. It might even be in the works.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #29
Major Player

Mac users from what I know dont get screwed. It just seems that they dont know they can run windows OS on their computer. A guy where I work has every OS on his G3 laptop so he can troubleshoot anything that comes along. So its just looking into the proper options. I think it is to bad that most mac users don't know they can do that. Otherwise I would think that you would be happy that you have so many options open to you.

Old April 15th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Well, I've heard that people have varying degrees of success with emulations. I've yet to hear of anyone who's been able to run Net MD successfully on a Mac, for instance. But, hey, if it works. I'm all for it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog