wireless mic set at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wireless mic set

I am using an XL-1, I am purchasing the XLR adaptor for it and am in need of a wireless mic set.

Atleast one lav and one microphone but two lavs and a mic would be best. I would like the reciever to be nice and small as well nothing I would have to set down on a table, this has to be mobile. What are your responably priced suggestions?
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

To help frame suggestions,

What is your standard for reasonably priced? Are you looking for something under $200, under $500, under $1000, etc?

What is your application, that is, what types of subject matter, eventes and venues will you be shooting?
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have used Lectrosonics wireless products for years. You can get older models like 187 off of eBay at a pretty good price. Just beware that they may need to be sent off to Lectronics (in Rio Rancho, NM, USA) to have the crystals recalibrated. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Good luck.

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Major Player

As far as I know, no wireless mic manufacturer makes a three channel wireless system that can be camera mounted. Some make two channel wireless systems, but I have yet to see any of these that are dual-diversity.

By that I mean each channel actually has two receivers and two antennas. The antenna receiving the strongest signal noiselessly passes it onto the recording equipment. This is the utmost in reliability, but clearly has some issues (probably in the antenna) for dual mic receivers.

In any case, physical size of the receivers will be an issue.

Next, how will you manage your preferred three mics (two lav and one hand held) on the XL1? That means dropping sample rate to 32k, with which some NLE's have issues (not insurmountable, just more time in post to make right). If you are serious about more than two mics, then use an audio mixer to feed signals into you camera (I do this all the time).

As for brand preference, I feel any of the major manufacturers will offer a product that makes the most sense to you. Shure, Audio-Technica, Samson, Sennheiser, Lectrosonics all have solid brand identification and support. I actually use a lesser known brand with no ill effects. Just don't scrimp in favor of price. With this gear, one really does get quality in direct relation to price.

With the XLR MA100 XLR adapter, be prepared to spend some time figuring out how to get all of your receivers on it. It was well designed in the sense of being open to adaptation, but it is really easy to come up with a good looking arrangement for attaching receivers that doesn't work when it really needs to work.

Last edited by Waldemar Winkler; January 20th, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog