Quality above XL1S price not to far above. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 19th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quality above XL1S price not to far above.

I've been looking around at some of the video's and I'm not sure if it's a lack of good lighting or what but the shorts shots just don't appeal to me very much. Although I think in the end I will buy the XL1S I was curious what one notch or two higher then the XL1S ?
Sincerely Me.
Old April 19th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Frank,

you have to remember that whatever you see on the net is a HIGHLY COMPRESSED version of the footage. The only real way to judge is to rent the camera, shoot some footage and play it back on a broadcast monitor. I don't think anyone will be able to 'judge' the quality of a camera by seeing tiny quicktime movies.
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good Point...

But I live in southern ontario where the nearest shop that might have an XL1S to buy would be toronto...sadly I think I might just buy it before I try it. Because I think regardless of what camera I go with there will be limitations I think it's just a matter of how well you can work around those in pre/post production.
Old April 19th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Frank,
The XL1s can shoot gorgeous footage in skilled hands. In unskilled hands, like any other camera at any price point, it will produce amatuerish junk.

The GL-2, Sony PD-150 and new Panasonic DXV100 are worth consideration also. They are smaller, lighter cameras and may be better selections for certain objectives.

Brand/model partisanship aside, the next step up would be to a 1/2" camera such as the JVC GY-DV500 or GY-DV5000. This class consists of much larger, heavier cameras whose primary accessories (lenses, batteries & chargers, tripods) will cost multiples of what prosumer cameras will cost. Plan on an initial expense of at least $10,000-$12,000 starting from scratch.

As Adrian says, you really have to judge the native footage, not compressed footage.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken.

All modesty aside I've learned how to work around limitations since was I was a whiper snapper all talking aside I'll be sure to post footage as soon as I find a dealer in my area (london, ont?) I'll most likely have to make a trip to toronto.
Old April 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Frank,
I was in your shoes last fall, trying to decide which camera to purchase. I did all of my research, including this forum, and decided on the XL1s without seeing any footage from it.

I have had no regrets, like Ken has said, in the right hands any of those cameras can produce great footage. I am amazed at the quality of the XL1s footage.
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very True

THe XL1S just seems to have enough room to strecth and expierment that you can have a lot of room to get the right look you want. As soon as I have that last few cents I'm making a trip down to toronto...any recommendations ?
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Frank...

If you get the XL1s consider getting the 16:1 manual lens. If hand-held stabilization isn't absolutely essential, then the added sharpness of the manual lens (and the adjustable back focus) might be of great benefit.

I should have bought a manual lens as I already have an XL1 with the stock lens -- had I purchased a manual lens I'd have the option off using both!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 04:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good Point

Yes Dean, I agree with you. I have the stock lens, and wish I had gotten the manual lens. When business improves, I am hoping to purchase the manual lens.

Frank, I bought my XL1 in Kingston, I do not know where you could get a good price in TO. Anyone from Toronto have any suggestions?

Dale
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Frank, I reside in London. If you'd like to have a look at my camera (stock camera, I do not yet have my 16x manual) I'd be more than happy to let you check it out.

The best price I've seen in Toronto is at Aden Camera. They often have new equipment on Ebay as well. I ended up purchasing mine through the mail from Calgary at a great price. I made a deal, and they went for it. Don't be affraid to bargain, but stay clear of Henrys if you want good prices. They tend to stick to the MSRP and don't budge.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Andrew Petrie - That sounds great actually, just contact me through msn and we can arrange something (gumpymaker@homtail.com)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog