DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 owners, what do you play back on? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/88551-xl1-owners-what-do-you-play-back.html)

Charles Culpepper March 9th, 2007 09:15 AM

XL1 owners, what do you play back on?

I'm curious what other people review their recorded material on. I'm assuming almost no ones plays straight back from the XL1 as this wears out the head.
So what do you play back, rewind, fast forward, etc on?
The other reason is I'm curious if anyone plays back on any sony products, as my material recorded with my XL1 plays back distorted on both of my Sony products (a mini DV player and a 950 camera.)

Mark Bournes March 9th, 2007 12:11 PM

I use a jvc camera, a cheapie I bought off ebay for $100. I use the firewire connection and it works just fine.

Cole McDonald March 9th, 2007 12:34 PM

spent all my $$$ on the camera and FC Studio...I play back on the XL1s...no other option...I would love a dedicated deck if someone wanted to donate one ;)

Lorinda Norton March 9th, 2007 06:39 PM

I've had my XL1s cameras since '01 and '02. I do everything with them after I found out less-expensive decks won't work. A higher-end Sony player handled my tapes fine, but I didn't want to spend $2000+ on a deck.

An old-timer on this board (that would be ol' Jeff Donald ;) once told me I'd be ready for new cameras by the time I wore out the heads on mine. So far, he's been right.

Don DesJardin March 9th, 2007 08:39 PM

I purchased a Panasonic AG-DV1000 VTR 4 years ago, and it has been rock solid since then. I looked online and they are still going for between $1,100 and $1,200. I have seen them on Ebay, but not that often.

Don Palomaki March 10th, 2007 06:59 AM

For playback and capture I use a Sony DHR-1000 and occasionally a SOny GV-D300.

Les Wilson March 10th, 2007 06:30 PM

Using my XL1s, I have been successful with a Sony DSR-11 and UNSUCCESSFUL with a JVC DV3000. The audio track suffered. This unit is theoretically a twin of a Panasonic model.

Best I could tell when talking to the Full Compass tech person is that the error correction algorithms in the JVC just weren't doing well with the data that was "out of spec" from my XL1s. That is, the data coming off the tape wasn't perfect. My camera had been into Canon and so... Anyway, the Sony DSR-11 handles it as does my trusty Sony TRV-900. But, my good ole Canon Optura Pi did not and neither did my JVC SR-VS30 "Professional" deck.

I am not pointing fingers at JVC. I just won't buy them anymore as they aren't compatible with my XL1s.

Barry Gribble March 11th, 2007 10:26 AM

I play back on a Canon ZR-40, which can't cost more than $100 on eBay these days...

Seth Kanne March 13th, 2007 10:29 AM

I've had my XL1s since 2003 and have used it to playback/capture extensively...All good so far.

Jon Pavli March 13th, 2007 01:48 PM

I too use the Canon ZR-40 camera for capturing. As said with the earlier post, they can be had for a pretty good price. IMHO, much cheaper that sending the Canon XL camera off to the Factory Service Center for repair. Even though I just did that for my Canon XL camera and the typical $400+ bill.

I found my Canon ZR-40 off of craigslist. Keep searching and you'll find something similar to use.

Cheers, Jon

Jeffrey Butler March 13th, 2007 08:13 PM

DSR-11, no question.

I use the DRS-11. Matter of taste, though, I suppose. With the deck, you can still use the camera - either on a shoot or capturing on a second computer. Lots of reasons to get a deck; speed, versatility...but it's optional. You probably will want a new camera before you use the heads up, but if you do use a deck, you (should) get more for it b/c you'll have a ton less head hours...

Charles Culpepper March 14th, 2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Pavli (Post 641088)
I too use the Canon ZR-40 camera for capturing. As said with the earlier post, they can be had for a pretty good price. IMHO, much cheaper that sending the Canon XL camera off to the Factory Service Center for repair. Even though I just did that for my Canon XL camera and the typical $400+ bill.

I found my Canon ZR-40 off of craigslist. Keep searching and you'll find something similar to use.

Cheers, Jon

Do you happen to know if the ZR-40 works well with Final Cut Studio?

Jon Pavli March 15th, 2007 10:32 AM

I don't have any information about the ZR-40 working it FCP, however, I would think it would have no problem. Mac's use firewire, right? ZR-40 has 4-pin firewire connector, so I think they should work together!

Good luck.

Cheers, Jon

Andrew Paul April 2nd, 2007 03:36 PM

I bought a cheap faulty canon camera off ebay with firewire for £15. The lens did not work so you couldn`t use it to record via the lense but you can record on it via the firewire. Does the job as a deck perfectly. Quality of capture and record is perfect.

Herman Van Deventer April 3rd, 2007 02:58 PM

Bought my XL1 1998 /

Shot 13x 26 min episodes and 6 x 54 min episodes for TV broadcast.
44 Music videos / 73 corporate productions and some normal thread of the
mill stuff to keep the pot cooking and pay the bills.

I've used the camera from day one as a deck / Zero - problems.

I nearly sold it to help pay the upgrade to the XLH1. Although I needed
the money I decided against it and kind of framed it in my studio as part
of my soul.

Herman.