XL1 owners, what do you play back on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1 owners, what do you play back on?

I'm curious what other people review their recorded material on. I'm assuming almost no ones plays straight back from the XL1 as this wears out the head.
So what do you play back, rewind, fast forward, etc on?
The other reason is I'm curious if anyone plays back on any sony products, as my material recorded with my XL1 plays back distorted on both of my Sony products (a mini DV player and a 950 camera.)
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a jvc camera, a cheapie I bought off ebay for $100. I use the firewire connection and it works just fine.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Trustee

spent all my $$$ on the camera and FC Studio...I play back on the XL1s...no other option...I would love a dedicated deck if someone wanted to donate one ;)
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've had my XL1s cameras since '01 and '02. I do everything with them after I found out less-expensive decks won't work. A higher-end Sony player handled my tapes fine, but I didn't want to spend $2000+ on a deck.

An old-timer on this board (that would be ol' Jeff Donald ;) once told me I'd be ready for new cameras by the time I wore out the heads on mine. So far, he's been right.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Major Player

I purchased a Panasonic AG-DV1000 VTR 4 years ago, and it has been rock solid since then. I looked online and they are still going for between $1,100 and $1,200. I have seen them on Ebay, but not that often.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Wrangler

For playback and capture I use a Sony DHR-1000 and occasionally a SOny GV-D300.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Using my XL1s, I have been successful with a Sony DSR-11 and UNSUCCESSFUL with a JVC DV3000. The audio track suffered. This unit is theoretically a twin of a Panasonic model.

Best I could tell when talking to the Full Compass tech person is that the error correction algorithms in the JVC just weren't doing well with the data that was "out of spec" from my XL1s. That is, the data coming off the tape wasn't perfect. My camera had been into Canon and so... Anyway, the Sony DSR-11 handles it as does my trusty Sony TRV-900. But, my good ole Canon Optura Pi did not and neither did my JVC SR-VS30 "Professional" deck.

I am not pointing fingers at JVC. I just won't buy them anymore as they aren't compatible with my XL1s.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I play back on a Canon ZR-40, which can't cost more than $100 on eBay these days...
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
New Boot

I've had my XL1s since 2003 and have used it to playback/capture extensively...All good so far.
Seth Kanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I too use the Canon ZR-40 camera for capturing. As said with the earlier post, they can be had for a pretty good price. IMHO, much cheaper that sending the Canon XL camera off to the Factory Service Center for repair. Even though I just did that for my Canon XL camera and the typical $400+ bill.

I found my Canon ZR-40 off of craigslist. Keep searching and you'll find something similar to use.

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Major Player

DSR-11, no question.

I use the DRS-11. Matter of taste, though, I suppose. With the deck, you can still use the camera - either on a shoot or capturing on a second computer. Lots of reasons to get a deck; speed, versatility...but it's optional. You probably will want a new camera before you use the heads up, but if you do use a deck, you (should) get more for it b/c you'll have a ton less head hours...
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Pavli View Post
I too use the Canon ZR-40 camera for capturing. As said with the earlier post, they can be had for a pretty good price. IMHO, much cheaper that sending the Canon XL camera off to the Factory Service Center for repair. Even though I just did that for my Canon XL camera and the typical $400+ bill.

I found my Canon ZR-40 off of craigslist. Keep searching and you'll find something similar to use.

Cheers, Jon
Do you happen to know if the ZR-40 works well with Final Cut Studio?
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I don't have any information about the ZR-40 working it FCP, however, I would think it would have no problem. Mac's use firewire, right? ZR-40 has 4-pin firewire connector, so I think they should work together!

Good luck.

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I bought a cheap faulty canon camera off ebay with firewire for £15. The lens did not work so you couldn`t use it to record via the lense but you can record on it via the firewire. Does the job as a deck perfectly. Quality of capture and record is perfect.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Bought my XL1 1998 /

Shot 13x 26 min episodes and 6 x 54 min episodes for TV broadcast.
44 Music videos / 73 corporate productions and some normal thread of the
mill stuff to keep the pot cooking and pay the bills.

I've used the camera from day one as a deck / Zero - problems.

I nearly sold it to help pay the upgrade to the XLH1. Although I needed
the money I decided against it and kind of framed it in my studio as part
of my soul.

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog