Urgent Advice on XL1 Camera Problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 8th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #16
Major Player

Follow up.

Hi Louly.

Just wondering how is your "glitches" saga.

Got it allright allready or still strugling?

Take care.

Arnaldo Paixão
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Just one stupid thing that happened to me on a Sony TRV900, got the dropouts and stuff, I put in the cleaning tape for 3 times 10 sec on play, but not on rec, it took me a day to realize that I had to do the exacty same procedure with the rec heads. After that the problems disappeard.

Just thought to mention it since you only used the cleaning tape for 5 sec and then you don't mention if the technician cleaned the REC heads or not.

Hope it works out for you.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #18
Wrangler

All heads (record/play) are on the one drum and get cleaned at the same time when the cleaning tape is "played".
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #19
New Boot

Arnaldo & everybody, "Thank you"

Hi Arnaldo,

Thanks for dropping a line. No, I have not figured out something in terms of fixing it yet…I think it should go to the service when I return home…

But luckily, my film is about Tajik artists and one filmmaker featured in the film is willing to lend me his camera for a couple of weeks to finish the shooting.

Thanks you all for the advice and hoping Jami will get to post his feedback from the service.

Cheers for a great community,
Louly
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I Just got my Xl-1. The only feedback I received was that "the tape transfer mechanism has been adjusted and cleaned".

The first tests seem to work OK, but I wouldn't count on it yet. The camera has been serviced before for the same reason with lousy results.

I have to keep testing.

The dangerous part of this is that when the camera was serviced before, it seemd to work OK. I then shot some quite important shots, only to find out later that the problem had returned and the shots were unusable.
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:00 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Don, well, I guess the rec button does something little different since the problem continued after only cleaning it with play.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:31 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Louly.

Hope that in the end all comes right to you.

To me, the lesson taken is this:
As soon as I, you and anybody else can (meaning have the money), get a backup camera.

Take care.
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Late last year I finally got a backup camera. Lucky thing, too. The camera bought as a backup had to go into warranty service.

Twice.

My old camera proved highly reliable and only went in for routine maintenance after two years.

The new one (XL1s) had trouble getting a manual white balance and is exhibiting a back focus problem that won't go away.

The white balance problem got fixed the second time around, but the back focus problem is still there. So I'm having to plan shots without any zooms.

It'll have to go back for service a third time.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog