Spot on lens... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 29th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Spot on lens...

Hey guys. I just got my new XL1s today. When I look through the viewfinder, I see a tiny little dot left of center of the frame. At first I thought this was a spec of dust, so I cleaned the lens. The spec is still there and it's very obvious now that I can see it.

On a white background, it clearly appears as a black dot. On a black background, it appears white. When I view the footage in VCR mode on the camera, I see the dot.

However, when I view footage on my NTSC monitor directly connected to the camera via S-video, I do not see the dot.

Strange eh? Whatever the case, it's so small, but my eye is drawn to it and it's annoying. Could it be a scratch inside the lens or something?
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brad,
Where exactly are you seeing this spot? In the viewfinder? If so, it may be a dead or flaky pixel in the viewfinder's LCD. Annoying but of no consequence to your footage.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ken, thanks for the response.

Yes I am seeing it when I look through the viewfinder. I wasn't sure if it was a viewfinder problem or a lens problem. You're right, it doesn't appear to effect the actual footage. I captured a little and can't see the dot. When I get another lens I'll be able to test it out and if I still see the problem I should assume it is the viewfinder and not the lens...right? I guess I can live with it. ;-)
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sounds like the viewfinder to me.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:09 AM   #5
Warden

The dot only appears in the view finder? If you play the tape back on a monitor you don't see the dot? It sounds like the LCD screen in the VF has a dead pixel. Call where you bought it. They will probably exchange it for you. Dead pixels are not uncommon on LCD screens. If you search the topic you'll find several threads on the subject.

One of my students just bought a very expensive Dell laptop and it has a dead pixel. She never noticed it until I pointed it out to her. She was so upset. They even happen on very expensive screens.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Carefully inspect the viewfinder eyepiece. I thought I've found a dead pixel on a few occasions, but closer inspection revealed a small spec of lint/whatever on the eyepiece glass (sometimes on the inside)

It's easy to notice if you view the LCD away from the eyepiece a bit, and move from side to side and up and down. Given the distance of the LCD from the glass, you'll see dirt 'float' across the picture.

If it's not dirt, it's most likely a dead pixel, warranty repair. :)
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks for the helpful advice guys. I looked thouroughly and cleaned the viewfinder and it's still there, I think it must be a dead pixel. Not that big of a deal but I think I'll send it back in a week or so. thanks again guys!
Old April 29th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #8
Wrangler

Do not delay, if sending it back contact the vendor as soon as possible to get an RMA (or what ever their procedure is). Some places do have a short time limit on returns.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog