Accessory wishlist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 2nd, 2001, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Accessory wishlist?

Hello,
Just another silly question from an amatuer. If you were on an extremely limited budget, what would be the accessories you would consider absolutely neccessary to start shooting, (aside from the xl1). Unfortunately most equipment is mail order and impossible to try out before buying (at least in my case), so input from fellow xl1 owners helps alot. For instance, if you were going to purchase say two filters, which two would you choose? What about lenses? Would you recommend buying a wide angle lense made strictly for the xl1 or would you rather the adapter? I've also heard quite a bit of mention of the verizoom. Would you consider that a neccessity or a perk? I apologize for all the questions, but I could really use the input. Thanks.
Daniel H. Buchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2001, 05:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Extra batteries ae number 1

Good, sturdy tripod is number 2

Wide angle adapter or lens is good if you need to do wide angle work.

Canon ZR-1000 remote control is good, half the price of the Ver-i-zoom models and offers most of the capability.

MA-100 if using external mics, and it provides a good shoulder mount too.

Limited budget, go for a wide angle adapter. They are less than half the price of the 3x wideangle. Century optics are good.

Last edited by Don Palomaki; October 3rd, 2001 at 06:46 PM.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2001, 09:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the info. just invested in a bogen model 3426 legs and 501 head. Next stop more batteries!!!
Daniel H. Buchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2001, 01:35 AM   #4

Go buy some dv tapes, a tank full of petrol, a flask of hot coffee, a few rounds of sandwiches with your favorite filling, drive down to town (or where ever the action is) and press the little red button (the front one or the top one - it don't matter) and get some footage. Take it home, rewind, get the ext cables out, plug into the tv, and watch.

{Sorry, this is not meant to be sarcastic, just read it with a smile in your heart, I mention this as some loony pulled me up and said I was sarcastic because they couldnt read plain text without putting the proper intonation in it, tch}

No, seriously, you can get a good idea what you want after you have done some filming with your new cam.

Pryce
Old October 4th, 2001, 06:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

I agree that batts and tripod are 1 and 2. After that its up for grabs depending on your style of shooting.

One thing I would recommend looking at is a good wireless mic. It is so useful in a variety of shooting conditions.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog