Upgrade Canon XL1 to XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrade Canon XL1 to XH-A1

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a canon XL1 and I'm already thinking about upgrading to an XH-A1. Its a big step but is it worth it? What will I lose if I upgrade to XH-A1? Or what benefits will I gain besides it being able to record in 24f+, 60i, and HD?

Maybe this can help, I would like to use my cameras for short films and music videos. But lately, all I've been doing is recording camping trips and events at my church. Not to metion, I'm a college student studying film. So budget my is a little tight but I'm able to afford one. Somehow, I'm a little bit not satisfied with the XL1's performace, quality wise.

If anyone can share their experieces with both cameras, that would be PERFECT! And thank you in advance!
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
What will I lose if I upgrade to XH-A1?
Interchangable lenses.

Quote:
Or what benefits will I gain besides it being able to record in 24f+, 60i, and HD?
I million man, there's really now point in listing them, look around the boards. The XL1 is like an 8 year old camera by now all the new customizations, control and tweakability that canon has since discovered have been put into the A1.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

How about and XL2? Is it anymore better than the XL1? I know the picture quality is a bit better than the XL1. Read that in the other thread. Is it really worth the upgrade?

I'm really interested in the XH-A1 though, but money money money.

Thanks for the post and your input.

Anyone else got experience with this?
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think you should buy an XL2. They are a ton better than the XL1. I just bought an XL2 today and I could have bought an A1, but I think that the XL2 is so much better. The ONLY advantages the A1 gives you is that it is HDV. But keep in mind that HDV is not officially high definition, and you get allot less of a camera in order to get HDV. Plus, HD DVD and BluRay Players are not commonly available in most homes in the United States, so why invest in a technology that you can't use to the full potential. Buy the XL2, it's just to good to pass up.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

Sit down, work out your budget - what can you afford?

If you can afford either camcorder, then work you your requirements: what capabilities will you expect to need over the lnext several years. Consider the camcorder capabilities, form factor, weight, ergonomics. Is there some specific capability you need for your course work?

I.e., make it a business decision. But if this is mainly a hobby, buy what make you feel good at the end of the day.
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player

If you never shoot in a controlled production environment and/or shoot more on the go, than the A1 I think might make a lot of sense for being compact and future-ready.

BUT, I have an XL2 and wouldn't give it up for anything. I've operated the XL1, and they don't compare to the XL2s at all -- it's a completely different camera that just looks the same.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Third person to agree, get a XL2!

Just my two cents. Got an XL2 while at NAB this year. I'm quite impressed and amazed at how different it is (quality wise) over the XL1s (anyone interested in buying it?? haha). The only downfall I would say is it's a bit heavier (noticable), but the new features definately outweigh the weigh gain. As Nike would say, "Just do it!"
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

just bought the XL2

Waiting for delievery! Went with all of your advices. What would I do without DVinfo.net? Time to post up my XL1 ("sorry babe, I found a new love").

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Congrats Tony! Just remember, "Out of the Box" the XL2 won't blow you away, but tweek the many, many features of this camera and you'll be amazed at how different you can make your footage look! Good luck! (It's almost TOO much)
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #10
Regular Crew

By the way, it's a tough gig to sell a mint condition XL1s with all the accessories (MA-200, 14x manual and 16x auto lens) let alone a XL1 these days (Been trying to sell mine, and I have all the original boxes!). "Guess that's the price we pay for progress and technology!"
Gary Siu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog