Purchasing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Purchasing

Hey,
I do video for my school and church, and they have always had a camera for me to use. I am starting to do more independent video, and need to know where to find an XL 1 or comparable product, for fairly cheep, and used. Any ideas?
Ben Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Major Player

First thing to do is check the classified section of this forum. Then post a "want to buy" notice. You will likely get a response rather quickly.

Second, consider an XL1s over the XL1.

Third, browse E-bay. But be very, very careful. Most e-Bay sellers don't know the products they are selling.
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

he's a tourist, how can he see the classifieds? I'm still trying to see the classifieds! lol
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ben; Check my website for your XL1 www.ronsrail.com/equipment.htm.
Thanks, Ron
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey,
What is the diference between a XL1 and an XL1s?

I have been doing more reserch, and have relized that the XL series is way out of my price range. I am fairly young, and dont have steady video jobs, and so I dont have that much extra money laying around. Any cheeper Ideas?
Ben Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Good deal on this one, won't last!!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91484
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Wrangler

Ben:

Go to canondv.com, download section and check the manuals and brochures to get a feel for the differences.

Check the GL1 and GL2. They are often found used and don come close to the XL1 series in image capability at substantially lower cost.
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fiedler View Post
Hey,
What is the diference between a XL1 and an XL1s?

I have been doing more reserch, and have relized that the XL series is way out of my price range. I am fairly young, and dont have steady video jobs, and so I dont have that much extra money laying around. Any cheeper Ideas?
They look similar, but they are completely different cameras internally. To hit the high points:
In terms of managing low light conditions without the benefit of additional lighting, the XL1 is least responsive. The GL1 is a bit more responsive. People say the Gl2 and Xl1s have close characteristics in the low light sensitivity category, but I'd side with the XL1s as the better perfomer.

The GL series cameras are among the lightest and smallest of the 3-chip SD cameras. Sometimes that feature is really, really helpful.

To get the best information, visit (if you have not already done so) the Watchdog pages relating to these specific cameras here at dvinfo.net. They contain the most comprehensive collection of useful information on these cameras I have ever seen. One of the reasons I regularly visit dvinfo.net.

I own one Gl1 and 2 XL1s. Without changing color recording characteristics on any of the cameras, I find they match very well in post editing. The GL1 is almost always recording the same scene at one to one and one-half stops over the XL1s's (difference in chip size). Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope specs are very close.

Both camera series use a manual lens control that is not really manual. I find this damned annoying. Coming from a 35mm camera past I sincerely miss the positive feel of a well made manual control lens. Those lenses are available for the XL series ... they just cost a bunch. In the meantime one learns to deal with the wierdness of motor controlled manual mode.

On the GL cameras, virtually all of the controls are in the most illogical locations, so it takes a while to reset one's mind and fingers to respond quuickly and accurately.

After having said all that above, I thoroughly enjoy all of my Canon Cameras. My GL1's tape transport system is about to die after seven years (and I can't begin to guess the number of hours). It continues to produce amazing images. The GL2 is supposed to be quite an improvement. Both are well built and durable.

Both GL1 and GL2 cameras should command lower prices than the XL series. Just be careful when looking to buy on line. Most E-Bay sellers have no knowledge, period ... on any subject. No one but Canon knows how many hours their cameras have been turned on. Start your search here, in the classified section. It is called "Private Classifieds".

Hope I have helped.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ron, sent u an email as I am interested in the CamKote on your website!
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'd try online classifieds in your area, such as Craigslist. You're from Iowa, right? I don't see any Canon xl1, xl1s, xl2 or Gl2 in Iowa, but check back a few times. The good thing about going local is that more often then not legit buyers will want to do a face to face transaction, and you can then get a chance to look over the product you're buying, instead of getting it shipped to you and hoping for the best. Especially since you'd be buying second hand, if you're going for xl1 or xl1s.
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog