Need help with wireless selection! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with wireless selection!

Is this the wireless set I am in need of? Is this set UHF?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-EW122...QQcmdZViewItem
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it is UHF. I have used this and I like it, although I have not bought one myself yet.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Major Player

My personal opinion here: Buying E-Bay? WHY? There is no such thing as a reputable dealer selling on E-Bay. I've done it enough times to know. No more for me. Buy from the dealers supported here. Support is everything.

On other subjects ... because your work is outdoors in "wild" environments, VHF "might" make some sense, as its longer wavelength will have a greater trasmission distance. If so, only buy top quality products. With VHF price is very directly associated with quality.

The tight band of UHF is remarkable.
All of my wireless systems are on the cheap side, and at close range (less than 150 feet) they are great! Remember, with wireless mic systems, you are using a radio band that does not require license, and other organizations (TV stations) can legally use the frequencies you hope to use, so do your homework before you buy.

lastly, if you are buying on E-Bay, you are not going to get guarantee.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Waldy why not, I have had great luck with ebay.
Where else can you order a 6 hour battery from Hong Kong for $30 to your door?
If I was getting a 10k hd cam, then by all means buy local if possible, ebay prices are hard to beat even with shipping and I am in the arctic.
Vince Halushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Where else can I get this setup for $399.00? I understand it is B stock and you are not going to get a set for less than $525.00 with a warranty. What VHF brand is recommended, I want to be able to broadcast from 5 feet to 2 or 3 hundred yards...
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Wrangler

UHF generally gives lots of frequencies from which to select, and overall is less prone to interference, especially if you ever plan shoot in metro areas. But it can cost a bit more. VHF units tend to have less frequency agility.

As to shopping E-bay, not a sponsor here last I knew for starters, and mroe over, and there is increased risk. Whether the ~$90 savings for B-stock from E-bay reseller over new from a known brick-and-mortar reseller is worth the added risk is your call.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I guess my question was not so much whether to buy on Ebay or not, but whether the unit in that link would suite my purpose... Also what is the difference between the-Sennheiser Evolution 100 ENG G2 system and the Sennheiser Evolution 112P G2 system ?
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

UHF also penetrates solid objects better so that would be good in the woods.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog