Problems with sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Problems with sound

Hi,

I recorded sound (and video of course) with my XL1s this morning and when I captured my tape with my little Panasonic GS400 into the computer, I often heard problems with my sound.
It's a bit difficult to explain: if I listened to it on the camera (the GS400) it was like sometimes very short times the sound dropped a couple of times.
Like in a sentence: "Yes, ...ut I ca...'t complain about the things t...t you do"... (sorry to explain this in such a ridicilous matter, but just want to make myself and the problem clear).
In the captured AVI file on the computer (I edit on PPro2.0) the short silences are like clicks or scratches, difficult to explain, but not nice to listen too. It aren't dropped frames, the image is okay, it's purely the sound.

I recorded a piece on the same tape with my GS400 and I had no problems so I really think the problem lies with the XL1s.
Are there people that have an idea what could be the problem?
I checked all my settings on the camera, they were all right.
I don't think the problem lies with the mic, although I don't know for sure, because the decibel meters went okay.
So could it be a problem with my heads? Cleaning the heads once?
I didn't got any message in my viewfinder about dirty heads, but I can't
think of anything else.

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you use the stock mic?Check the connector going into the camera.Pull it out and reseat it.Then try rerecording and do the test again.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith View Post
Did you use the stock mic?Check the connector going into the camera.Pull it out and reseat it.Then try rerecording and do the test again.
Yea, also try to plug in an external mic if you can and try it.

Try playing back on both cameras and see if you get the same problems.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi,

thanks for the advice, I did record with the stock mic, I'll try to do what you say one of these days, when I have time.

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Wrangler

Try playback with the XL1s, see if the sound is OK. There may be a slight difference in alignment between the XL1s and the GS400 that appears as a break-up in the sound.

I've noticed that error correction for playback of sound does not appear to be as effective as error correction for video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog