HELP PLEASE - Audio Troubles..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP PLEASE - Audio Troubles.....

I have an upcoming shoot from July 13-17 and i need some super help!

I ordered a very very very cheap wireless mic and receiver yesterday (Audio quality not really that big of a deal...but i do need some...) expecting it to come within a week or so. The mic has a 1/4'' connector, of course my XL1 doesn't sport one of those so i'm stuck....

I found a 1/4'' to 3.5mm adapter.... bought it. So now i'm thinking i'm in the clear.....right? I mean, isnt the port between the Video Out (Yellow RCA) and the Audio 1 a 3.5mm input?

If it isn't please help me.... Can i use the 3.5mm adapter to connect to the input my onboard canon mic is in? (The one with two female inputs... however, the adapter only has one male connector.)

Thanks,
G. Hayes

Feels Good To Be Back....
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Garrison..........

I'm going to assume the XL1 has more or less the same connections as my XL1s, and that the 1/4" connector you've mentioned is the O/P from the wireless reciever. If this isn't the case I may be leading you astray.

If you want to feed the O/P from your wireless reciever into the "on board" mic inputs (the one with the double female connector) you will need a "double 1/4" to 3.5 mm Stereo adaptor" It's going to be a tad unweildy, but as long as you don't give it a whack it should be ok - ish.

However, you're going to end up with just mono (one channel of sound on the mic inputs) unless you have another 1/4" ended mic to go into the extra 1/4" input on the adapter.

I don't know how far away or under what circumstances you need this mic to be "off camera" - if it's do - able with a cable link, there's a thread here about taking the standard Canon stereo mic "off camera" using a made up extension cable - you have the time if you have the will AND it will do the job. At least you'll have stereo.

You have, however, given me pause for thought - I can't remember what that hole in the back of my XL1s is between the audio & video RCA's, don't think it's a mic I/P tho'.

Hope this helps.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I can't remember what that hole in the back of my XL1s is between the audio & video RCA's, don't think it's a mic I/P tho'.
That is the dc power connector for the MA-100 or MA-200 adapter pre-amps. NOT advisable to plug a mic into that jack.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Greg....

You've just shown me up as being too bl**dy lazy to hoik out the manual. Serves me right.

T'would be an interesting display if one were to plug sommat like a mic in there tho' - wonder if any poor prune has done it? Or is it, as I suspect - proprietry?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Wrangler

The power jack onthe back is 2.5mm, the typical mic jack is 3.5mm, so not easy to plug into it.

What is the output level of your economical wireless system? If line level, do not connect it to the mic jack. Use the audio 1 jacks (red and/or white) on the back of the handle instead, and set the level from the menu. That maybe the better location anyway, less risk of heavy adapters damasging the mic jack.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks all!

I did plug my earpiece (for cell phones) in that jack....didnt do anything to me or the earpiece but i wont try it again... =/

I bought a 3.5mm to RCA adapter so i'll end up using the Audio 1 after all....

I am, however, very interested in the "extension cable" spoken of above....The Canon mic is very valuable, and with a windscreen could probably work as a Boom mic.

Thanks again

G. Hayes
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Wrangler

The 5 vdc jacks are internally wired to minimize (but not eliminate) the chance of causing an accidental short circuit by plugging something into it. For this reason, they cannot be used to meaningfully power anything other than a Canon mic, the MA-100/200 series adapters, and some selected RF (channel 3/4) output adapters.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Solved!

Although the devises didn't come on time. I made due with what was available on my Shoot.

instead of buying a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter i decided to get a 1/4 to RCA L/R audio Y cable... Works like a charm and i feel allot more sure & secure going RCA rather than Mic.....

Thanks for all you guys' advise!

G.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog