Some thoughts after 12 hours with my eye in the XL-1 EVF - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2002, 10:45 AM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Ozzie, I was thinking of why you put your 3x lens on the XL1S
and used the standard 16x lens of the XL1? As I understand
it the new 16x lens that comes with the XL1S is a easier
to use lens then the XL1's old one. Or did you swap these?

Just curious! Oh, did you had any chance to talk to your
friend, who showed you the most beautiful DV footage
you had ever seen, about how he did it? Thanks. Regards, -->>>

Rob,

I already own an XL-1 with the old 16x lens. I needed a second camera, but most importantly, a wide angle lens. Buying the XL-1s with the 3x was the only combination I could think of. I will most probably use the old 16x with the XL-1s for some shots. The budget is the overriding factor here. We now have to invest in another hires monitor and a good deal of audio gear.

My friend Fred called me the other day because I sent him to this site for a little bit of an ego boost. He certainly got one. He achieved his results the way I decribed - with care and skill and by -3db everything. I recently tried that with the XL-1 and it does yield cleaner pictures. The fact that his recording speed is faster - DVPro (or is it DVCam?) doesn't hurt either.
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #17
Major Player

>>Considering that I am currently more of an enthusiast rather than a professional I doubt tha Canon gives a rat's patooty about my rants or wants. But doggone it I really would like to see Canon address this vf issue once and for all in the next XL camera, if only to end all of the relatively unproductive vf discussions. I mean, jeez, people (I think on another forum) were recently buying Olympus video glasses and plugging them into the video-out port as alternate viewfinders. Someone's gonna get hurt if this persists! <g><<

Ken,

I'd be interested to know who's buying the XL-1s and what they are using it for. My sense is that it's more people like us (most, if not all, of us in this forum) that use it for heavy or light professional applications. After all, how many tourists have you seen walking around with an XL-1 tucked into their shoulder bags? I think Canon has to give a "rat's patooty" about the demands of their customers if the XL-1 line is going to survive in the long run. The XL-1 is clearly NOT for casual shooting. It's too big and awkward for lugging around (compared to the more consumer friendly pocket-sized 3 chip cams). So what's it, who's it, for? Us? Then they should be giving us a big "patooty" when we politely point out where theri fine product can be improved. I am making any sense?

Now, about those glasses...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog