No playback on the second monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Tourist

No playback on the second monitor

Hi everybody!

First of all iīll have to apologize for my bad English - I still hope that itīll be enough to explain the problem ;)

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and was playing with the demo version of Aspect HD trying to edit some HDV Material. The problem is: I donīt see any playback on the CRT Monitor connected to the analog output of my dual-head graphics card :-(

I have a very nice and smooth playback in the timeline with up to 3 HDV streams, which is exactly what is needed for the projects.

The system I am working on should actually be fine, as far as the system requirements are concerned: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz Hyperthreading, 2GB of RAM, dedicated 7200 rpm SATA 150 drive.

But I think there is an issue with the graphics card: I have a RADEON 9600. I didnīt find any way to turn the "Overlay" option on inside of the Catalyst driver. Furthermore Iīve read on the internet, that most of the mid-range cards do not support the overlay function on both outputs, but only on the primary monitor.
Having taken all that into consideration Iīve decided to upgrade my graphics card to a PNY Nvidia QuadroFX 500 (thought that a workstation class card should probably do it). I am still waiting for the delivery, but I thought it would be good to find out what I did wrong as soon as possible, since the decision on buying the Aspect HD plugin has to be made next week in the company I am working for.

Dear David, I have tried to find any information considering this specific matter in the previous posts but I had no luck. I hope you can help me find a solution to the problem :-)
And: if Iīll upgrade to NVIDIA, will it be easier/better to setup the plugin in Premiere?

Thank you for helping!

Here are the specs of the system, in case this should be usefull:
Pentium 4 3,2 GHz Hyperthreading
2 GB PC400 Dual Channel DDR RAM
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Mainboard
RADEON 9600 with latest Catalyst Drivers
2 SATA 150 Drives: 1x - System, 1x - dedicated
Running Windows XP SP2 with latest updates
Premiere Pro 1.5.1

With best regards,

Gabriel Sumner
Gabriel Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Stick with your RADEON 9600, that is was I have.

Yes it is a pain to setup, just as it is with NVidia. Only you get the 9600 to clone it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
No playback on the second monitor-ati9600.png  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Tourist

THX a Lot :)

Hi David!

Thank you very much - the issue has been resolved, thanks to your advice (though I also had to enable the "theatre"-Mode in the Catalyst driver).

There is still one issue left now: i get the Premiere preview window send to my second monitor. But when I playback the timeline the resolution of my CRT seems to "switch" - the screen goes blank and after 2-3 seconds goes on again and I get the preview. As soon as I stop the playback the CRT goes blank again - kind of resolution switching? - and then, again after 2-3 seconds I see my stopped picture from Premiereīs preview monitor.
Itīs ok to work like this, but if there is a way around this issue it would be really nice :)

Do I have to set my CRT to some specific resolution? I am editing HDV 1080i PAL footage.

Thank you a lot!

Best regards,

Gabriel Sumner
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Tourist

Still need your help

Hi David,

could you please answer my last question, which still happens to be an issue and is very important for my productions.

Best regards :-),

Gabriel Sumner
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes the monitor is switching resolutions. You can reduce this effect by setting the control "De-interlace while scrubbing" in the playback settings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase