Cineform Neo HDV and Vegas8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM   #1

Cineform Neo HDV and Vegas8

David....

I am hoping you can shed some insight on Cineform's NEO HDV future, considering that Vegas 8 will be introducing 32 bit floating point processing for it's rendering engine. Given that the current version of Neo HDV is 8-bit, will Cineform be upgrading Neo HDV, or will you be recommending that Vegas users upgrade to a higher bit level of the Cineform codec.

In short, will Neo HDV be adequate for Vegas 8, to provide the highest image quality available? Clearly, with 8 bit A-D coming out of HDV cameras, perhaps it's guilding the lily to move to 10 bit Neo HD. Nevertheless, analog capture via the component out ports provides a 12 bit D-A stream(at least from the HD110). I beleive HDLink will, currently, capture at 10-bit.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO HDV is an 8-bit product for all inputs and outputs. I can't say what we are doing to support a new 32-bit float Vegas, but enhanced features would likely be in NEO HD/2K. It isn't "guilding the lily" to use deep workflows for 8-bit uses -- remember the classic HDCAM is 8-bit yet post of that footage is typically deeper than 8. While NEO HD for capture from an 8-bit source doesn't change much, although it does add 10-bit analog HDSDI capture, the big advantage would be on exports from a deeper color space, preserving more information.
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanx for your reply. Appreciated as always.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Since 10bit int/ 32bit float post workflows will now be opening up to a whole new audience, are you considering an intermediate version of NEO HDV/HD for those capturing 8bit 1440x1080 but wanting to take advantage of >8bit 1440x1080 intermediate files? My perspective is that to those with a 10bit square pixel 1080 ingest capability, the NEO HD package may be economical, but there will now be a large userbase of 8bit 1440h ingesting vegas users with a high bit depth post workflow at their fingertips. I understand that AE has always existed, but most projects never leave the NLE, so it is significant.
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Any chance something like Prospect 2K becomes available for Vegas 8?
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd love for HDMI capturing directly to NEOHD in Vegas, no RAID required if you use NEOHD. It is essential for a green screener without a RAID.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Do you have any idea if reading the proper timecode from a cineform avi (from a HVX200 MXF) into Vegas8 is now working? This has been one of the issues keeping me from getting it.

Yeah, more support for Vegas is always appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Plevritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #8

Jack...

I had thoughts very much the same as yours. However, for me to have access to a PC(laptop or workstation) to injest component analog from my HD110, would be very impractical.

Having said that, I think about something like a firestore FS4HD that takes input from the 12bit engine, component outs, feeds a portable hard drive and processor that encodes with NeoHD to a 4:2:2, 10 bit intermediate file.

David, is this even possible?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase